Too personal maybe?

Ok, this may be too personal, but I was just reflecting on my experience of getting my first period. I was 11, and was about to walk to school (in white pants), when I suddenly felt like I should go to the bathroom, then it happened, and when I called my mom, she started clapping! She was happy for me! Yuck...what was yours like?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Health

• I was 13 and away at summer camp. I was the only girl there who had never had her period. My counselor didn't believe me that it was my first. She gave me some tampons, which I had no idea how to use. When I finally go back home, my friend told my mom about it and she got all excited and teary eyed. I was so annoyed and embarrassed.
    Anonymous

• I started my period when I was 13 and I was at home. My mom was so excited she went and told my Dad and my grandparents.....very embarrassing! LOL

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I was 11, hadn't had "the talk" yet or any type of classes on it in school yet... I thought I was dieing!

my mom wasn't excited or anything though...
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I was 14 and at school. My mother died when I was 8, and a lady friend told my father for me.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I was 12 and staying the night with my grandma. She kept asking me all day (in front of whoever was around) if I needed to "change" yet. I could have died. Then my mom...whenever I was being a typical whiny kid...would say...yep she's getting ready to start her period...in front of EVERYONE...grr. And another thing...obviously I was new to having to change pads and stuff and one day the blood came through my pants and I got in trouble for it! I'm serious! My mom was so mean about it. When my daughters start (I have a while for that thank goodness) I am most definitely going to let that be something private that they choose who to and who not to tell and I will never humiliate them like my grandma and my mom (especially my mom) did to me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I was 9 in school and had no flippin idea what was happening to me.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I was 11, staying at my uncle's house, when i got my first period, my mom, wasn't there so I had to ask my uncle's then wife for a pad, but I remember calling my mom freaking out. "i think i got my period". When I finally got home the next day, my mom, my 2 aunts and grandmother were all at my house. they were all happy, telling me I'm a "woman" now. my mom, actually shed a couple tears because she was "so happy" and i "wasn't her little girl anymore". Then she called my dad (they were divorced) after i begged her not to, but he had to know.
    foxylady8217

Answer by foxylady8217 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• OMG my mom had a party for me with all of my female relatives. surprise! she got me a dozen red roses. yuck. i still hate her for that!
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 7:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i was 15 and i was going home from dance and i thought i had just sweated a whole bunch. i went to the bathroom and it was like a masacre. i called my mom in there and she handed me and pad and said "welcome to womanhood" kind of sarcastic like, that is how my mom is so i wasn't upset. she didn't tell anybody about it. but i do remember when my gma figured it out she quietly and politely got the brand of pads i used and put them in a drawer for me in the bathroom.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 9:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2008