Help! How can I organize all these toys and books?

She has books. Electronics, DVDs, vanity, dolls, doll crib, high chair, kitchen, doll house, stuffed animals, games, building sets, and on and on and on.
I do not know where to turn. There is a 6 foot by 3 foot book shelf and a big nine hole cubby shelf with 5 containers.
It is overwelming.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If she has THAT many toys, put some in a plastic tote. Basically rotate her toys every week. Then she will play with more things more often, and it declutters. Because i bet she isn't playing with all that stuff. Go through the books, anything that is too young or too old for her either get rid of the too young stuff or pack it for future babies, and if it's too old, pack it and make sure you label it.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I love bins. Bins for everything. First off, if I were you, I would clean out what she doesn't play with or has outgrown and get rid of it. Then I would get LOTS of bins. You can get a toy box for bigger items and smaller, stackable bins for smaller items. At walmart they have these plastic things that have drawers and I have one in my daughters room for some of her books, diapers, whatever and she has her toy box. She is only 1.5 so she doesn't have all that much or things with lots of pieces so the drawers and the toy box is enough for her. My son though is 4 and he has a bin with an attached lid for just about everything. One for cars, one for leggos, one for action figures, etc. It makes clean up really easy too b/c everything has a place. You can label the bins too with words or pictures to make it easier for her to put things away. You can put the bins on a bookshelf or on a shelf in her closet or something.
    Braydens_Mama06

Answer by Braydens_Mama06 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I am a sucker for Organizing bins with labels on them. Good luck! If anything get rid of some things
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• use the shelves for the books and cubbies for toys, or separte them, put some in her room and some in the living room. so she has two places to play.
    mommaclow

Answer by mommaclow at 9:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• if she just has to many toys to clean up all the time,,what i do is i pack up some of my daughters toys and swap them out every 2 weeks or so..rotate the toys..good luck
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• we are having the same issue. ds has 2 toy boxes and shares a bookshelf. One toy box has those small cubby bins but he always throws them on the floor....it's just more mess. I gave you a bump! I will probably buy some storage containers w/ lids so he has to ask me to help him open them and therefore actually play with what he dumps out lol. It seems no matter how much I donwsize he still has more stuff
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I read in Parent magazine in the "works for me" section about using those plastic shelves and taking photos of the toys for each shelf! Great way to teach your child organization! I'll have to try that
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I constantly go through my son's play room and put the stuff he doesn't play with anymore in our garage. I keep it there for our future kids (and to ensure he doesn't miss it and it is already gone.) I built a couple shelving units in his play room so that he could organize his toy each night before bed. I also put his toys on a rotation so that he doesn't have access to all his toys all the time. This minimizes clutter and ensures that he doesn't get bored with them all...
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2011