What does this mean?

My nurse from my doctors office called me to tell me that my blood work shows that i'm severly low in my hemoglobin. and that my husband needs to be blood tested to see if he is low as well other wise my baby (i'm 7 months prego) could be deficient. what does that mean? how will it effect the baby? and will i be able to breast feed when she comes out?

ariesmom20

Asked by ariesmom20 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would ask your doctor. I was very low and just had to take extra iron throughout the pregnancy. Iron is a mineral that you do not want to "overdose" on so they are very careful not to have you just take more to make sure you get enough. I was severely anemic to the point where after I gave birth the nurses kept asking me if I was sure I was not going to faint my levels were so low (my level was a 6 and I think the normal range is 11-17 or something) my normal level is a 9, so 6 WAS low, but it did not feel that "off" to me. A few weeks after the birth of my daughter, they did an iron infusion (kind of had my blood go through a machine to add iron and then put it back into my body) and it has been a low normal ever since.

I tend to think that when someone in a doctor's office asks you something, your best bet is to ask them why they want or need that information. It is best to be informed of the reasons they need to know, then to be suprised later on.
    Inial

Answer by Inial at 11:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I think this means you're suffering from anemia (not enough iron). Did she want you to visit a hematologist? This recently happened to my friend and husband (they were told they are iron deficient) and they were both referred to a hematologist for more tests. You should call her and ask her your questions.
    Anonymous