Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

child support

Can I file for child support even though we live together? My baby is 7 wks old and he has bought him( 1) 3.00 Lions bib and a thing of gas drops. No formula or diapers but buys himself new hats & clothes & he pays no bills here! Im tired of it! All his money he yreats as spending money. i know he dosent have a lot of money cuz he cant keep a job when he gets one but every little bit helps. Im in Mich.

Answer Question

Asked by ahsweetness at 9:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 12 (799 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • I don't see why you couldn't, as long as you're not married. It will probably piss him off though...

    Answer by EverydayMomma at 9:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • I would talk to someone at child support enforcement and ask because this is a tricky situation good luck hun

    Answer by WildCat73 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • yup..when my huspand was with his daughters mom he filed so that way when they broke up he wouldnt get cought with all the back pay too..

    Answer by angelairelan at 9:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • It may just piss him off to the point he moves out....bonus then, cause let me tell you Honey, it's only going to get worse. Then any wages he gets is garnished. That includes unemployment.

    Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • Have you tried discussing it with him? I agree it's going to piss him off. If you can't talk about things like this you should probably examine whether you should even be in a relationship with the guy.

    Answer by bugfin at 9:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • I don't know if it is the same in your area, but I know in my area you can if you are not married. A friend of mine did this with her SO.

    Answer by layh41407 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • In my state, you cannot if they live w/ you. I would check your local laws on this.

    Answer by genagina at 9:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • Thanks guys! I do know he probably wouldnt pay it cuz he has other kids he dont pay for as well from Ny he gets notices all the time and they stack up on the table but there are consequences for not paying and i want him to pay those consequences!

    Comment by ahsweetness (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • in nj you can but you may have make him should try talking to him about it, bring up the child support if you have to and see how it goes...if you get nowhere than do it, the baby is more important than his hats and things.

    Answer by Finkette at 9:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • he does not pay he will go to jail. my husband had lost a job got anthor one driving a truck but was already paying the back amount and because he was stuck out of state the judge thought he should disobey traffic laws and safety regulations to be there. the sheriff came and took him from my home thank goodness my kids were asleep. He ended up losing alot of money that week and his job over it and the prosecutor came to his aid and defense on that. he was without a job for a year and is currently catching up. they will put him in jail at some point believe me

    Answer by WildCat73 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.