Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax Returns??

My friend told me she gets a secure $2,400 just for having a son alone. Its added onto her personal tax return money from working all year. Does this happen with everyone? Do moms get at least a grand for there child from tax returns?

Answer Question

Asked by Glouii at 9:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 6 (120 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Yes. We have 2 kids so we automatically get $2,000.

    Answer by Snewo at 9:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • Yes I think its anywhere from $1000-$1500 where I live.. Im not sure about this year bc i havent filed yet

    Answer by mommato2boys79 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • i get alot back. but i am also low in come. i get the earned taxed credit, (EIC) and also the child tax credit. i have 2 kids. and i also get reimbursed for my daycare expenses. last year i got about 7 to 8 grand back. it was wonderful i was able to get my bill caught up. get my car the tune up it so desperately needed. and also had money to get my kids theri close for spring and summer. then i put the rest back for just in case. (well we did splurge a little went tot he zoo a few times and took the kids to the movies and out to eat a few times) thing we generally dont get to do.

    Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • musicmom08

    Answer by musicmom08 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • it is 800- 1000 here. but we got 1,000

    Answer by momto4girzls at 9:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • It depends on how much your income was....if its low you get earned income credit which is a like2-3000 for the first two kids. I used to wualify for that before i was married. now that were married my husband makes too much for that credit so we get 1000 per kid. I think the income cut off is somewhere between 20,000-30,000. whoever does your taxes will know what to claim.

    Answer by Finkette at 9:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • Is it only for full time jobs? I worked part-time all through 2010...

    Comment by Glouii (original poster) at 9:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • I think below 45,000 is earned income. If you have made more than that part time I want your job. Lol

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • Go to the HR Block website, they have an estimator thingy there. All you have to do is plug in your info and it will give you an estimate of what you are getting back. It doesn't even take 5 minutes.

    Answer by nicjon at 9:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

  • Look at the following chart on this page. 


    Answer by musicmom08 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Money & Work
child support

Next question overall (Diet & Fitness)
i need to lose weight