Cons of religion

What do you believe is the negative, or consequence, of believing in a God?

I don't mean, "Its a con for me because I'm always bashed for believing..."

I mean more like...people who are upset that others believe in a God...they are upset because the consequence of believing in a God is...(fill in the blank).

Try to keep it respectful in this thread, I know it is a sensitive subject. If you must attack or call names, just don't post please.

SandyHack

Asked by SandyHack at 9:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• In my opinion, there is no negative in simply believing in God. The negative comes when someone chooses to use that belief to attack or judge others for not believing in the same thing.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Very good point. I see a lot of that. However, on a blog I frequent on Multiply.com, there are groups on religion where the discussion calls believers "ignorant" or like "sheep and lemmings." There are non-believers that post very upset that people believe at all. I'm wondering, in the minds of people who feel that way, what is the consequence to them of people who choose to believe in what they term a "fantasy"?
    SandyHack

Comment by SandyHack (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I've seen what you're referring to as well, OP. I don't get it either. If someone isn't bothering someone else, what is it anyone's business what they believe in?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I'm not upset that others believe, that is their choice. I do get upset when they try to push their beliefs on me or others who did not ask to hear about it. Especially when you tell them you do not wish to have that discussion with them and they get angry with you. I also think many people who believe in God tend to quote from the Bible to try to get their point across but when asked why they believe what they do they don't have any concrete answers of their own. And then when I'm talking and explaining why I feel the way I do they interrupt me and tell me I'm wrong instead of letting me have my say. I no longer discuss religion, keeps it simple.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 9:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• The main negativity from religion is not from the religion itself. It is from wayward followers who believe that their way is the only way, and that they are justified by their belief to violate the rights and freedoms of others.
    This may be cutting off hands to punish minor crimes, or bombing abortion clinics to 'protect' the unborn. In neither case is it the fault of the religion, but of aberrant followers.

momofone072506

Answer by momofone072506 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• they are upset because the consequence of believing in a God is .... they will have to weigh their most personal decisions against a belief that is based on faith. That is something that is difficult to do especially when you are young and vibrant and still very low on wisdom. This is why youth inquires and age requires.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 10:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Like others said, it is not the simple belief that is a con.. it is what people use that belief for ... (I.E. against gay marriage, against people of other faiths, laws restricted what people can do, based on the faith)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 10:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I support other beliefs 100%. Some people confuse my debating with bashing.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Ok, let's back up...I do get it, that religious followers (and non-followers alike) can be rude and inconsiderate when pushing their belief on others and not listening in a discussion.

What I'm saying is...the non-believers who act angry at the "ignorance" of believers, and argue to convince them there is no God...what do the non-believers feel is the consequence to the believers of believing? This is a different subject.

I'm not talking religious denomination or dogma...I know several people who believe in God but not organized religion. Also, I know some very well respected Christians who do not push their beliefs on others, so let's avoid stereotyping both religious people (even non-Christians can believe in God) and potentially, non-religious people.

SandyHack

Comment by SandyHack (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Oh ok. The consequence for having a religion or a belief is a good consequence. It is answers, it is knowledge, and for me it is a future. So yes how can that be considered stupid? If especially the first sentence ^^ can mutually apply to ALL beliefs. RIGHT? I guess the answer you may seek is arrogance, a superior complex, pride. I would rather have confidence.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2011