Etiquette question - Admitting to regifting something hand made

My grandma made my son a blanket and stuffed animal to go with it. It wasn't like a super labor intensive thing like a quilt. It was a fleece blanket she made some adjustments to. It's way too young for my son. It has feely things for newborn babies built into it. It is the perfect gift for a really good friend of ours who will be having a son. She asked how it was working out and I said fine. Should I tell her I intend to give it to someone else? What if she is over at my house and asks about it? What should I do?

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 9:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• That is something that you should not regift without her permission. I probably would keep it for another family baby. or for a grandchild.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If she is going to come over and ask about it, then do NOT re-gift it. If she is not going to be around, then re-gifting it is fine. Since it was homemade, it is less acceptable to re-gift. She spent her time and energy to make it, it isn't just something she picked up in a store.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• yeah thats something you should just keep
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I dont think you should regift it...regardless of if your sons too old for it, Your grandmother, his great grandmother made it for him and it should just be put away as a trinket sort of thing if he cant use it....my grandmother crocheted a bunch of jackets and hats for my son, They werent really my thing but it was the thought that mattered and they are in a box with all his special baby things.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Eeks...I'm more of a person that thinks meaning only goes in to something if you put it there...and not everyone does. Things are just things...but the Moms above have good points. Maybe someday your son will wish he had something from his great-grandmother to pass down to his first child. Maybe just pack it away for now. If she asks about it, you can say that you put it in his "hope chest" or some place safe because it was left on the floor too often and you didn't want anything to happen to it.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 9:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Well you know your grandma best.... How do you think she would react if she did find out? Is she likely to ask about it? If you think it's safe then give it as a gift to somebody who will use it, if not I guess you hold onto it for a few years just in case. I don't really see the point in holding on to something that has no sentimental value.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Good advice ladies. I never thought of asking her if she would mind first. I have a feeling if I made a good case she wouldn't mind. They are good friends of ours. It's not like I'm donating it.
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Dont re-gift it you may regret it
    21lisa72

Answer by 21lisa72 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011