To paint or not to paint (a room red)

I'm buying paint this week for the living room and dining room. I have been warned not to paint a room red. Has anyone regretted painting a room red? The area I'm painting is open-theliving room is sunken and the dining room is raised. I want to paint the bottom 1/3 of the dining a shade of red. Not fire engine, of course. Yea nor nay?

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 9:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I say go for it. My mom has a huge wall in her family room painted red and it looks great! She has almost everything in red and gold. If you do it, I'd still to an accent wall rather than the entire room.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• GO FOR IT!

We painted our TV room a shade of red called cinnaberry or something, and have loved it for the past 7 years. Half a room red isn't an overstatement...and besides, if you are sick of it in a year, you can always paint again. I say go with what you want!
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 9:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It sounds like you might have a good idea. It is not too much of the wall. Paint can always be painted over if you really hate it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• My mother's living room was painted a dark red a long time ago and it has always made the living room look small. She is now having it painted a kaki color called Milestone from lowes. It just makes the rooms look bigger. A few rooms in my house are painted Milestone I love it.
    1911

Answer by 1911 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Our dining room is red and I love it.
    loriio769

Answer by loriio769 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Red in the dining room is not a good idea because it actually makes people eat more & it is also considered an angry color. However, it depends on the shade of red as well.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 10:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• sounds great I painted 1 wall barn red from Ralph Lauren's line with contrasting mustard and olive on the other walls. Just make sure you get primer specifically for red paint or it can turn out pink.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 12:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think it's totally a matter of personal preference. We just moved last year, and the home we moved into had a deep red family room and half the kitchen (bottom half, under chair rail) and I absolutely could not wait to paint over it. It was dark and angry and made me feel a little claustrophobic and pissed when I was in the rooms. We painted them a nice neutral taupe and I can't tell you how much more calming it is. However, if YOU like the way a red room makes you feel, then you should paint it that way, especially if it's a room that you won't be in all the time. There was no way in hell I was leaving our FAMILY ROOM red though! Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We painted a room red once and vowed never to do it again. It took 4 coats to get an even look. I don't care how careful you are, after 4 coats there are going to be some drips and spills, etc. It does look very nice in the end, but it became very expensive and overly time consuming.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my mother's kitchen is in red and yellow, and it's very tasteful! The room adjoining is done in a dark tan/light brown and it looks nice.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2011