School psychologist

I had a prent teacher conference with both my son's teachers and the school counselor. He is having problems on top of problems. We have tried everything under the sun this school year but he keeps declining. It's mostly academic but he's been tested and actually falls in the gifted/talented category. Yet he's barely passing! It's starting to effect him socially.

They informed me that they want to bring in the district psychologist to observe him in the classroom. I said yes, for I am pulling my hair out! Now I am getting nervous. Has anyone gone through something like this?

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 9:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I know that you are focused on your childs school but I have to bring something up that no one else has.
    You said your are in the process of doing Kemo, right?
    Maybe the focus should be put mainly on your family with school close behind. I am very sorry you are ill. Having to raise a family, deal with normal everyday life, worrring about you kid AND having cancer. Your family has a very full plate.
    I am wishing you positive energy and some well wishes. I hope all turns out for the best.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 1:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• No, but I am impressed that the school is being so proactive in this situation.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• No, but I am going to school for this and it will be okay. They are going to do just what you said, Observe. They are not going to drill him with questions or anything strange like that. In fact, he may not even know the psychologist is there for him because this could affect the outcome of his results.
    kLynch315

Answer by kLynch315 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We did that for my daughter. Of course, she has a learning disability, but at first we weren't sure what was going on so the psychologist came in to observe. Now my dd goes to the school psychologist periodically if she feels that she's having issues. It's really no big deal, and if the psychologist can help come up with some solutions, then it's worth a shot.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• we did not have our kids observed but after they were acidemically tested, they were phycologically tested by the school phycologist. my now 9 yo was actually switched classes, he is now in a gifted class and making straight a's! is you child in a regular class? i like the gifted class because the teacher has actually taken class on how to deal with gifted kids. they really do need diffrent teaching and someone to help them harness the intelligance they have. my DS's first teacher would only conmplain about how he was never focused. his new teacher talks about how he is not focused and then proceeds to inform HOW she keeps him on track! perhaps this is something that your child needs!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 10:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• ~*Prayers*~
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• What do you think his problem is?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Could he have ADD? Good luck!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Home school! He will do better.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think having the psychologist observe would be a great start. Good luck, Mama! We're going through some stuff with ds at school, too, so I know how frustrating it can be! I spoke with our school psychologist Thursday and they sent me a home evaluation to fill out about ds, the teacher will do one as well, then we'll make a plan from there.
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 11:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2011