Am I being selfish here?

I want to use our tax return for things that I've wanted/needed for years but haven't been able to get like a new laptop, tv for the bedroom, new sewing machine. The last time I bought new clothes was in 2007. I'd like to get a few things. But just thinking about it makes me feel guilty when I look at things my kids could use and what needs to be done in the house.

derosia_mama

Asked by derosia_mama at 10:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• How about a happy medium? Kids shouldn't have everything they "could use" any more than moms should. Before you decide how you're going to spend your money, spend some time thinking about your wants/needs and your families wants/needs. Prioritize them and then find a balance. FOR SURE do something nice for yourself! :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think it would be okay to take a portion and use it for yourself, but I'd make sure there was still enough to get some of the things your kids and house need.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Remember you need to take care of yourself in order to do for others. You are in no way being selfish! Everyone around you will benefit from your happiness!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 10:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Sometimes you have to take care of you to be a good mom. And your kids should see you do something for you every ocne in awhile too. I loved seeing how happy my mom was when she got something she really wanted or needed even if it was just a new pair of sweat pants.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 10:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• As long as all your ducks are in a row and things are paid that need to be paid and your children aren't starving, then I say go for it. I know the kind of things my mom went without when I was young and I wish i could give her what she wanted times 10 to make up for it! One rule she always had "if mom isn't happy, no one is happy!" Talking to her now she wishes she would have done more for herself, but keeping me happy kept her happy!
    whitefamily

Answer by whitefamily at 10:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Do you have a six month fund. That is do you have a savings that would cover basic living expenses for six months? If you do not, then you should start one. If you lived without the things you can continue to live without them. You need to have an emergency fund.
    How about save 50 percent and divide the rest by 12 and use 1/12 of it each month for the next year. Too often people waste and go through their refund and earned income.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If your bills are paid, than get something you need, there are always sales and layaway.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I always take some of our return to get things for me. I put off buying stuff for myself all year long and I deserve things, too. Last year we had to save most of it because we were having a baby and move across the country. The year before, though I got a new computer and my husband got an ipod touch. We also got clothes and stuff for the kids and put $1000 in savings.
    This year we'll probably be using it to get caught up on car payments and get some things for the kids. If there's anything left over we're going to use it to fix our computers.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I love it! New sweat pants!
    derosia_mama

Comment by derosia_mama (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I can totally justify the sewing machine. You can make things for your house, your kids, and yourself! I know what you mean, though. We women are riddled with guilt. Why is that?
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011