Is almost 20 too young to be a mom?

Im 19 turning 20 in march. I'm married and work full time. I'm due 8/10 with our first baby.
I told my family and friends and they were all upset sayin I wasn't old enough to be a mom and we weren't married long enough to add a baby in yet. My mom had me when she was 20 so I don't see the big deal, but a lot of people are acting like Im wrong to be happy about this. Is 19/20 too young to have a baby?

5ail0rl0v3r4evr

Asked by 5ail0rl0v3r4evr at 10:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Sometimes age doesn't matter as much as maturity and security!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I agree with the FP'er And I was the same age when I had my first.. I dont see anything wrong with the age as long as you are ready for a baby and know that you cant act like a teenager anymore..
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I agree with the first poster.. It's more about maturity than age. I know 30 something year old women that aren't mom material! LOL! I was a mom at 19.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• she's probably saying that because she felt she was too young and now she sees her "baby" having a baby. I got pregnant when I was 27 and my mom treated it like a teenage pregnancy crisis. If I was 38 having a baby she would probably react the same way! Moms will be moms lol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It's stil very young but I don't know if I'd say TOO young as long as you have everything together and are ready for a baby. Your family probably just wanted to see you have a little more time to enjoy your young adulthood before making such a life changing commitment.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• no im 23 and have 2 childern if ur ready stable and finacaly ready go for it ..
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Being older doesn't guarentee that one is more mature. Likewise, it doesn't mean that young=immature. It's your life, your choice, and you have to live with the choices you make...not them. I had my son at 19 and did just fine so good luck and congrats:)
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• There's not an age limit on when you can start having kids. i'm 21 with 2 beautiful girls (= goodluck.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Well personally I believe you should have been married longer and enjoed being man and wife before mom and dad. Hub and I had our first child when I was 23 and THAT was young. But congrats on the baby!!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Age is JUST a number. No one can tell you that you're too old or young for anything. I've known 15 year old mothers who were WAY better mothers than some women who had babies in their late 20s-30s, and vice versa. If you and your SO are ok with it and happy, then the opinions of others do not matter. You just take care of yourself and your family and forget what other people say to you. I was a week away from 19 when DD was born, and she was born 2 weeks before our first anniversary. I feel that we were too young, but we were in a very difficult position at the time. We still made it, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2011