Breastfeeding, starting solids, what to do?

My DS is almost 7 months old and has been very interested in table food for months now. I've kept him EBF until a few weeks ago. He sucks on carrot sticks and numbs cucumbers (he is starting to cut his bottom teeth).

I know I want to keep breastfeeding him basically until he decides otherwise. I've read about how I should let him breastfeed before offering any solids. I've read pros and cons about starting with cereal versus baby food versus child led solids. I'm still not sure what to do. I know it's different for every baby. Some babies don't even show an interest in table food until they're older. And just because he's interested, doesn't mean he's ready for things. DH and I are both lactose intolerant, so DS won't be getting any dairy until he's at least a year old.

So my question is, what do you recommend? What has worked for you? What resources/information have you seen?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 10:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just start giving him some appropriate foods off your plate or out of the kitchen. Small pea sized pieces of ripe banana or avocado or cooked sweet potato are 3 good starter foods. You can just put it on his tray in front of him and see what he does! If he eats it all and asks for more then you'll know he's ready for more!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• finger foods are fun! Have fun and don't push him to eat anything. Always offer breast first
    sunnyflower417

Answer by sunnyflower417 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Personally, I shied away from baby cereals because my instincts just said fruits and veggies are the easiest to digest, so they should come first. I did read somewhere that the body really isn't equipped to digest grains until the molars are formed, but I don't know about that (i feed my son lots of grains now, at 16 months). Some people said hold the fruit and start with veggies or they'll only want the sweet stuff, but then if you think about it, breastmilk is sweet, so they're already used to that!
    Until we got a routine down, I usually breastfed him first, then offered him solids at regular times of day. I breastfeed on a pretty regular schedule, so now with 3 meals a day and 4 breastfeedings, they are all separated. Oh, and DS is as much an addict as ever! :)
    I don't give my son dairy, either, BTW. Even though I'm not vegan, I really don't think dairy is good for anyone.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about). Many nutritionists recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2011