a solution to the nations unemployment? what do you think?

My Solution: pay SAHM/D's.
There are so many moms that would love to stay at home with their kids, but because of bills, they need to work. it would also help the single parents. The position that the mom would be in at a certain job would now be open for someone else, who doesn't have kids or can't find a job. even if it was 4 cents an hour, we'd get paid pretty decent money, because the job is 24/7, then there's overtime, if the government would even do that.
More parents would be home, the amount of kids doing things they shouldn't be doing will probly lower in percentage (maybe not much, but some!).

I ran this by my dh, and he said if they did that, they might as well pay the unemployed. well, THEY DO! granted, people will take advantage, like people do now. i'm just wondering what your view on it is? good idea? not? why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Who's going to supply all this money?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. ...Winston Churchill

This question reminded me of this quote.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• It is sad that the thought even entered your mind. That means that, by extension, you have not thought about the source of your income. Did you think it would be somehow magically offset by others becoming employed and their efforts in increased taxes would offset income to you? This is what socialists dream of...an uninformed electorate that will become accustomed to being paid for nothing and then vote to continue those payments. Don't you realize that you must create something of value in order to be paid and that that creation is then taxed and that revenue is what funds the government so they can spend those collected tax dollars?
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 10:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• So we should just call welfare by a new name?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Pay them for doing what and with what funds? if you want to earn money, you need to work by either producing a good or providing a service to another who is in need. SAHPs are only caring for their own-no one should be paid by another for that service- ONLY your family benefits-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Even if this were a good idea (which it isn't), there is no money available to fund it.

If you want to stay at home to raise your children, that is awesome ~ but it is YOUR responsibility as a parent to find a way to do it, and expecting all the tax payers to chip in and pay you to raise your own children is NOT acceptable. Do you want to be called 'mom', or the 'babysitter'?

People managed to live for decades with a single parent working. They did that because they didn't 'want' all the newest 'toys', new furniture and vehicles every year, etc. They managed because their children were more important than spending more money than the neighbors.

Don't get me wrong ~ I believe that children deserve to have a parent that is always home ... but not ever at the expense of someone else! It is each parents' responsibility to make that happen, and no parent should expect anyone else to pay them!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 1:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You have got to be kidding.
    Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I'm speechless...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:12 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'd LOVE to get payed to stay at home with my babies! A nice thought from lots of angles, HOWEVER... I can't help but feel like if they payed me, they would have a say in what I do and how I raise my children, I would have to report to SOMEONE.... afterall, we don't want people getting payed for work that's not monitored, right? And I would not at all be ok with my mom-job being supervised by someone else!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Who should pay them?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011