help!! transitioning 5 month old to crib....

I am trying to transition my 5 month old from his rock and play/co-sleeping to his crib. I have been letting him get used to being in his crib and he likes it until it is time to nap or go to bed for the night. That is when he starts screaming and crying =( last night I would rub his back and soothe him until he would calm down and drift back to sleep. Until 5am when he decided that wasn't good enough. How can I make this process easier for all of us? My first son loved sleeping in his crib so I haven't ever had to do this.

bustii

Asked by bustii at 10:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just keep doing what you are doing. Just keep him in his crib. It is all new to him.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Have you tried putting the co sleeper in the crib? That is what I did at first with my daughter. I would let her fall asleep in the co sleeper and then move the whole thing to the crib after a couple of nights of that she would lay in the crib in the co sleeper and fall asleep just fine. After about a month I took the co sleeper out of her crib and she never knew the difference. (this depends on the type of co sleeper you have mine was small and would fit easily into the crib.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I suggest continuing as you have been doing as well. I never had this problem with my son either, but he has ALWAYS slept in his crib from day one at home.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• just keep it up. with DD I had to let her cry for 5 minutes at a time. There were a couple of sleepless nights, but by the third night she was used to it and went right to sleep.
    mna_823

Answer by mna_823 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i wish i could help you more but our 21month old still co sleeps with us lol and i wish now we would have transitioned him to his bed along time ago as now its impossible almost. Just keep doing what your doing he will learn soon enough its going to be easier at this age then later.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I transitioned by son first to a bassinet, and I wonder if the smaller size and proximity was comforting? He had no problem with it. From the time he was teeny, though, I would put him in the bassinet for day naps and keep the bassinet in whatever room I was in, so he was used to it. I slowly transitioned him to sleeping in my bedroom, then his. I never thought about it much, that's just how it happened. However, I have never let my son play in the bassinet or crib, I always wanted him to know that when he was in there it was time to sleep.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I had the same problem with my youngest daughter. I too put her co sleeper in the crib and had the same result. My oldest daughter it was the car seat. She seemed to only sleep in the car seat! So we put the whole thing in the crib!
    derosia_mama

Answer by derosia_mama at 10:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011