My husband is AWESOME! Our somewhat of a rags to riches story. (NO NOT MILLIONAIRES)

OUR STORY- WE WERE DEAD BROKE

Back in 2007, we found ourselves at our lowest point. We were facing eviction, had no jobs, a 2 year old, and was 5 months pregnant. With only $637 dollars to our name, we weighed our options, but the only option we had was to move in with his mother. So on December 10th 2007, we packed up what we needed, bought a couple Grey hound tickets and left town. We wondered how we ended up here, me a former UCLA student, and my husband a former UGA student and ex Marine. No time to dwell on the past.
After we arrived to our destination, we were left with a little over $400 to last us until one of us found a job. My MIL set my husband up with a day labor company, so at 5:30 am on our 1st day here, my hubby packed a lunch and headed out. At 8:30 am he was back home because he was not picked to go out on the job. He decided that the day labor things was not for him, and went job hunting the next day. Around here there are a large number of new care dealerships, and that was where my husband started to look for a job. Being that he had a prior DUI back in 2003, he thought it was a lost cause(You need a clean driving record for at least 5 years in order to be put on dealer insurance, and take customers out for test drives).
Christmas came and we were down to about $150. I took $50 and bought Christmas gifts for my son, and a USMC lighter for my hubby, that was all I could afford. His mother loaned him a few dollars and he was able to get me some bath and body products for Christmas, but it was wonderful despite the fact we were broke. A few days after Christmas my husband got a call from one of the dealerships, I was certain they would tell him they found someone, but HE GOT THE JOB working as a sales man. His very first day working he made $5,000, but brought home $2,000 of that. Soon after, we moved into our own apartment. It was up and down at the dealership though, sometimes he would make thousands and sometimes he would only make a $400 draw.
My husband was very determined to do whatever it took to take care of his family, and the owner of the dealership took notice. November 2008, my husband got called to the owner’s office. He thought for sure he did something wrong. Later that day when he came home, he had the biggest smile on his face, and all he could say to me was “Babe, we did it.” I had no clue what this man was talking about, but he later told me the manager thought he would be perfect for the Finance Director position, because his major at UGA was in finance. The owner paid for him to get his licenses as well. ALL HIS HARD WORK PAID OFF.
My husband now makes $90k a year. I could not believe it. One thing he always told me when times were bad was “Baby it’s gonna be ok, I promise!!” Well he made it ok… Just comes to show that determination, ambition, and hard work pays off. Stick with it, and put 100% into whatever you do...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• Wow what a great story. I am so glad it worked out for you both. Your husband sounds very special as well as you. AWESOME!!
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• happy

Yay!  That's awesome!  I like to hear encouraging stories!

lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• This should give a lot of people hope. Thanks for sharing!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 10:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I don't understand the question. This sounds like a journal entry not a question that needs an answer
    Anonymous

• Thank you so much for the inspiring story! I love true life stories that have very positive endings!
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 10:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Anon, do you see a question mark anywhere??? I think not because it's not a question. I replied to a question someone asked, and I decided to post my story...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• This should be in a journal post, it's not a question, and doesn't belong here.
    Anonymous

• Well anon, when your opinion is needed for what I should or should not be doing or where my post belongs or should not belong, I will be sure to solicit your expert opinion.... Until then good night... : )
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Congrats that is awesome!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 1:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• That's a great story! Thank you for sharing! :0)
    HannahMayr

Answer by HannahMayr at 4:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2011