Bony lump on side of baby's forehead...

A few weeks ago I noticed a very small bump (the size of a birth control pill so really small) on the side of my then 13 month old daughters forehead right next to the end of her eyebrow. It was not on the surface and it was not sensitive to touch at all. I kept an eye on it and within 10 days it was double the size and very hard. Its not under the skin or fatty, in the sense that you cannot move it. Its definitely on the bone. I took her to the pediatrician and he was seemingly kind of stumped by it since it didn't move and it truly appears to be on the bone itself. He told me that to truly know what it is she would need to have a cat scan done and to do that she would need to be put under general anasthesia. He advised to wait it out a month and watch it closely to see if it continued to grow and how rapidly. If it didn't continue to grow much or at all then he said theres no need to put her through the cat scan and all it entails. If on the other hand it continued to grow then I'd have to bring her back in and get a referal to a specialist who would then order the cat scan. Here we are about 10 days since that appt. and its sooo much bigger. I feel like its growing daily now. It still doesn't bother her if we touch it at all and she appears to have no other physical changes or symptoms. She's a seemingly very happy content and healthy little girl. Of course I will be calling the Dr 1st thing in the morning to get the referal to the specialist but I am wondering if any of you have heard of anything like this before? He ruled out it being anything to do with her lymph nodes already. Just a worried and curious mommy wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what it could possibly be. My mommy gut instinct is ringing off the charts, somethings telling me to not let this linger any longer.

CarolinaQ

Asked by CarolinaQ at 10:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would def speak up too my doc and insist tht something be done! Go w ur gut and be persistant
    Bsmommy213

Answer by Bsmommy213 at 12:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Does she drink a lot of milk? I have seen babies with bone spurs because of all the calcium that they have in their small body. I would most surely not stop until someone gave me a definite answer as to what the problem is!! Please keep me posted & Good Luck!!
    NCBec

Answer by NCBec at 4:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• Could your baby have a fracture? Did she fall? Did the Dr. look into that? Maybe the white blood cells building up to repair it?? Did he give her a x-ray? That is just a guess? I would be very concerned like you. I would take her directly to a Children's hospital. It never hurts to be to sure.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I highly doubt its a fracture, she's never really hurt her head at all. No falls or anything like that I could connect to the lump. No x-ray yet, he felt the cat scan would be better for some reason (?) don't know why. I'll be asking about this as a possible means to find out what this lump is tomorrow instead of the cat scan. You're making me think maybe I should skip this whole dr referal fiasco and go straight to the childrens hospital in the morning. I'm definitely worried though, my mommy radar is going off like crazy all of a sudden. I was holding her in my arms as she was falling asleep and I kept looking at her and this feeling just came over me like I needed to do something and do it asap :-/ Very strange feeling, uncomfortable.
    CarolinaQ

Comment by CarolinaQ (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i personally would either call the dr first thing in the am and demand that something is done and if the dr wont, go around them!! talk to the office manger and tell them you feel your child and the problem is not being dealt with, this dr should have already done something with this!!! and i would go to the childrens hospital if the dr doesnt do something quickly!!
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• take her to the er and have her examined . what ever it is with the head you cant be to cautious
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 11:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2011