Ever had a tree trimmed or removed?

Shot in the dark here but...I have an enormous tree that towers over our little house. If it ever falls, it'll crush half the house. I was once told it was 40K to cut it down. I have a family of raccoons living in it so I just want to trim it, even though it scares me to death. Have you done this, is it costly? No way I'm spending 40 thousand to bring it down...!

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 10:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• keep searching and taking bids to have it trimmed. Make sure they are insured. I have a relative who is an Arborist  (retired) and it can be very costly.  If you have questions..maybe I can ask him for you. just pm me

Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• We were quoted $700 to remove a very tall tree from our yard.   Shop around, $40K isoutrageous.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have never heard 40K to remove a tree...4K maybe, for a dangerous one. I'd call a couple of other companies for a quote. Just make sure whoever you use is properly licensed and insured. Now is a good time to do it, because tree services tend to get busier in the spring and prices will go up. Depending on the tree, having it trimmed may or may not make any difference. We had a huge oak tree towering over our house and it dropped a few limbs on our roof during a storm, so we called a tree service about getting it trimmed. The company rep explained that while trimming it wasn't necessarily a bad thing, it really needed to be removed because it was so close to the house and it was enormous and dangerous. We had it removed, and it was $1,000.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my parents have one in their back yard that is more like 60 ft (dad's 40 foot ladder only goes so far up...) and they were quoted 1-1.5k to get it down. 40k is outrageous, ask some neighbors - someone is likely to have had a similar problem in the past. See who they used.
    hippomom1919

Answer by hippomom1919 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 25, 2011