Why do I have spiders? It's January!!!!

Honestly, Orkin cannot fix my spider problem. Does anyone have any idea on how to rid a house of big, fuzzy spiders? I'm so over it, I swear I'm gonna have a heart attack one of these days. Spiders, FYI do NOT lick their paws/feet so you can't poison them. You can only kill their food source (great).

Tired of paying Orkin, it's useless. Any thoughts????

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 11:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Pets

• correct meandrphoto, i have always heard if you have spiders, you have other insects somewhere in your house. the spiders love to eat insects so maybe you should keep the spiders. i had 2 tarantula's once and i like spideys.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 7:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I agree, spray around any openings in your home. Even cracks, vents, doorways, windows, etc. Even lighting fixtures that hang from the wall or ceiling. Since you have an old house they could be coming in from just about anywhere. Since it's January then they're most likely coming from the attic where it would be warm. Since heat rises. A basement is another place that bugs live and can come up from there. You can also seal off, with rubber seals, your doorways to your attic and your basement. This will help eliminate any bugs from crawling through the cracks in the doorways. Again, seal up any baseboards that are unsealed, windows, doorways, around vents, and any other place where they can crawl through.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Lemon Pledge, or any all-purpose cleaner with lemon or orange OIL as an ingredient. Spiders don't like citrus, and while the oil isn't toxic, it is a deterrent (and it's non toxic to your family and pets as well).

Otherwise, your best defense is your vacuum cleaner. Sweep EVERYwhere. Under furniture. Behind furniture. Closets (the back after you remove things). Spiders like peace and quiet. If you take that away, they move *G*

They are inside now because they hatched ~ and they hatched because unlike Ma Nature, your house is warm long before spring (due to your furnace). If you start your spring cleaning now, and spray the citrus around doors, windows, attic/cellar openings, you'll get rid of most of them.

I truly detest spiders, even though I know they are necessary. I've posted some serious rants about them over the years ... that seem to make people giggle more than feeling any sympathy for me *G*. Good luck!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• you can spray alcohol in your window sills and doorways. spray around your vents. they don't like it. Has Orkin sprayed your attic?
    Anonymous

• Never knew about the alcohol. Won't it evaporate asap? You know, he doesn't spray the attic. Great idea! I'm thinking they are coming from a tree that hangs over our house...I don't know...old house. Thank you!
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Spiders come inside in the winter to be by their food source. If you are finding a lot of spiders that means they are eating a lot of something. I'd be more worried about what they are living on that you aren't seeing! If the spiders go away whatever they were feeding on will run rampant!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011