hi all. my two month old has been on formula for one month now. just recently, he has been struggling to eat his bottle. he will eat about half before he starts fussing, crying, or screaming. i burp him often throughout the bottle(hes a great burper), and i hold him upright as hes pretty gassy. when he starts this, i take the bottle away to see if he needs to burp, and he cries. i give the bottle back, he sucks furiously then cries as if he cant take it or is in pain.

feedings have become daunting, he used to love to eat. hes on zantac for reflux, the dr suggested upping the dosage to see if it helps. no improvement thus far. i am going to keep pressing the dr for answers, just wondering if anyone has gone through this. any suggestions? oh and he drinks 4-6 oz every 4-5 hrs, 6-8 hrs at night.

KasonsMom

Asked by KasonsMom at 4:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My girlfriend had this problem, come to find out the nipple was getting clogged and the poor baby couldn't get any milk out of it 1/2 way through a feeding. Try another nipple.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 5:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• My 2 month old did that too....turns out he has gastroesophegal reflux disease. Its not too uncommon in babies. Does he arch his back when he cries when he eats??? Look up GERD symptoms and see if he matches them. I had to bring it up to my ddoctor for him to realize it. He's on Zantac now and it doing much better.
    MandyAshley

Answer by MandyAshley at 5:36 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• it sounds like he is having to work too hard to get the milk from the bottle, formula (espically powdered) can be thicker that breast milk this will make it harder to feed. try getting a nipple for the bottle with a larger opening than the one you have they should have the size on the nipple itself.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 6:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• HEY! Have his ears checked to make sure he doesn't have an ear infection..my son would cry when he sucked his bottle due to that.
    Anonymous

• It could also be thrush, you may want to have him checked out by his pediatrician.
    TiffanyNTrista

Answer by TiffanyNTrista at 8:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• wow...there is a lot of good advice already posted. My thought may be the gas and you could try gas drops with feedings to see if this helps. My second thought was also an ear infection because the sucking does put a lot of pressure on the ears, and if they are tender, it could really upset the baby.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I agree, lots of good suggestions here. What type of bottle are you using? I use Avent and there are different nipples with larger openings to allow for increased flow as the baby's oral motor control improves. My son just recently has similar issues and changing the nipple to a larger opening helped. I also have heard that Dr. Brown's Bottles are good for reflux, just a thought.
    EmjayOT

Answer by EmjayOT at 9:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Thank you all for your suggestions...I have tried all different bottles and nipples, however the playtex dropins seem to be best for his gassiness(of course, because the liners are expensive lol). I will try a larger nipple though I think hes still on slow flow. He went to the dr today and he was not concerned at all because hes gaining weight very well, but I still dont want him to be in pain while eating or to start associating eating with pain! The dr upped his dose of zantac a few days ago, I havent seen any improvement though, which is why I was wondering if it could be something other than reflux. He is stopping his eating to arch and cry, but it seems the zantac isnt helping anymore. Maybe Ill try mylicon again, although it had little effect on him before. Thanks again!!!
    KasonsMom

Answer by KasonsMom at 12:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2008