Ship or Drive our vehicle?

We are getting ready to move across country. The military moves our house hold goods so that we do not have to worry about. Question is we have two vehicles we have to move them ourselves and pay for it ourselves. So would you drive both or drive one and ship the other one? Money is not overflowing by any means. One way gas cost will be around $1,000 which is about our guess for shipping. So what do you think?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 11:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Travel

• Drive them both. You're paying for the trailer to ship the vehicle, the workers to ship the vehicle, the gas to ship it, and the liability coverage of the company.. You're going to end up paying a lot more to ship the car then to drive it. Plus, you can drive longer hours to get there quicker, whereas you don't control how long it takes the driver's to get your car to you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Actually from research it is going to be about the same money wise. We are not really worried about the time it would take to get to us.
    Melbornj

Comment by Melbornj (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Drive 'em! Adventure awaits on the road!!
    Neelah

Answer by Neelah at 11:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Well we have to drive on of them and pull the camper but it would be nicer to not have to have one driver in one and one in the other for 55 hours of driving. I just did a drive from WA to Fl to NC back to NC and back to WA so maybe I am just wanting to share driving duty but I think we will wind up driving both of them.
    Melbornj

Comment by Melbornj (original poster) at 11:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If it were me, and it would cost the same, I would rather ship one and travel together in the vehicle that is easiest on gas. I hate driving cross-country by myself, and have a really hard time staying awake on the road, so it would be a no-brainer for me.

It sounds like you're aware of the pros, what are the cons??
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• As I have been reading it looks like there could be extra wear on the suspension or drive train(?) so I am not sure if the extra wear on the car from sitting and bouncing outweighs the miles that we would be putting on the car. It would be a few hundred dollars more to ship the car so that is always a consideration.
    Melbornj

Comment by Melbornj (original poster) at 12:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son is an auto transporter. I am sure it would be more cost effective to ship.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 2:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i agree with pps
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2011