SLEEP!!!

I can not seem to be able to fall asleep. I am very tired, but when I lay in bed my mind is still wondering. When I do manage to fall asleep it's usually around 2am. I have tried tea, milk, and even exercise. Nothing works. Any suggestions???

TamikaJovan

Asked by TamikaJovan at 11:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Health

• i wish i knew what to tell u. i do the samething from time to time and I have Narcolepsy. The doctors tell me to try to relax and get in a calm enviroment for around 30 minutes BEFORE i go to bed.
    Barbara1970

Answer by Barbara1970 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I have the same problem or when I do fall asleep my dreams are so vivid it feelslike I didn't sleep at all. I've found that having three children and the younger two only 18 months apart I'm alot more tired. I am also trying yoga for relaxation. I hope you can find something that will work good for you I know it's not fun when you can't fall asleep. I also can not drink caffeine after 12 (noon) Good Luck!
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Ask you doctor for a prescription, that isnt habbit forming. I take something for sleep. I just cut the pill in half. It is really tiny, but it gives me a full nights rest. You need at least six hours of sleep a night to be able to function during the day. Put on some tv, wrap your self up in a nice warm blanket, and take some advil pm...or tylenol pm. It works, and its safe. Hope that helps.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• If you have a tv or computer in your room..take it out. Make sure it is nice and cool and clean in your room. Get a fan. Remove anything that makes you think of work or anything that causes anxiety or gets you thinking..(like bills). Turn everything off for about 30 minutes prior to bedtime and turn down your lights.. Maybe a warm bath before you crawl into bed, read a book. Your room should only be for sleep and tranquil. Make sure you are doing something that you feel is worthwhile during the day too...so when you hit the hay you are to tired to think. Maybe try a natural sleep aid...like valerian or something. they have many natural herb supplements at the store.
    Anonymous

• Before you try prescription meds, try melatonin. I've always had trouble falling asleep, from the time I was a kid. I tried valerian with no luck. But Melatonin has always worked for me! (Just don't take it if you're pregnant).

Not long ago I was prescribed trazadone and ambien for sleep (along with anti-depressant drugs, even though I told them I didn't need the sleep aids). The trazadone didn't seem to help me sleep, but I was really groggy the following day and hated how I felt. The Ambien made me HALLUCINATE!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Buy some Valerian Root, just make sure there are no fillers or additives in it and try taking one the first night. You can take up to 3 but 1 knocks me out. It puts you into a deep sleep and you wake-up feeling great. Just make sure you have 8 hrs. to sleep.
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 12:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I was told to stop watching TV just before bed. It supposedly gets your brain going. Also, make sure you don't do anything in your bed but sleep and have sex. Your room should be dark and quiet. Changing all this stuff helped me a lot. I am also a VERY light sleeper, so I have a fan on to block out all noise that might wake me up or distract me when I am trying to fall asleep.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i am the same way. i even tried sleeping on couch snuggled up under warm heavy blankets with my dog and cat ,close by the nice warm coal stove. My mind is like a spinning record that doesn't stop even during the day. i constantly worry about everything even when there's no apparent need to. i have generalized anxiety disorder plus just started a new med, celexa. sometimes I need to nap during day and be up from dark til i watch the sun rise again into new day. really neat though. try to sip some hot green tea 2 hrs before you go to bed. there is Sleepytime green tea. call yout dr for sleep aid med. you could find something over the counter. I think Dollar Tree may have someting. i get alot of my meds and personal assessories there.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 7:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• taking a nice relaxing hot bath with some aroma bath salt deluted into bath water. smells good and smooths your skin. I also then use body lotion of my favorite fragrances. i have those scarey dreams even when i don't watch any horror movies. I dream some rapist is chasing me, or i see red and blue flashing lights from cops , i dream a robber is trying to break in my home. i have back flashes of bad experiences in my past; even exes which annoys me alot. lol
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 8:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I exercise, take a hot bath, and then I was told to take a small dosage of benadryl since I cannot stop my brain from thinking, and I do not want to go back on Xanax!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2011