binkies and bottles

ok im sure this will cause some mommys to get upset but i really have to know. what is the deal with parents not breaking their children from bottles and binkies till they are 3 or 4? I mean really? binkies and bottles are for babies not 3 and 4 year olds heck in my opion they are not for kids past 1 year of age 18months is pushing it. Is it just the parent not wanting to step up and take these things away? What it is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• In my case I don't want to deal with a crabbie child and its the binkie is a comfort at bed time but after one they are only allowed the binkine at bed time bottles were done at eleven months. But once they hit 18months we quit the binkie cold turkey
    dominique1108

Answer by dominique1108 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I agree!!! If past about a year ur kid still uses a bottle..thats gotta be the parent not the child..my son gave his bottle up for a sippy at 9 months..and as for a binki..that was just over a year..

3 and 4 year olds should in no way use either!! its ridiculous!!
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I tested my kids (all 3 of them) out at 3 months to see if they could handle drinking out of one of those no sip cups.  In between 3 and 4 months all of them could so I took the bottle and the pacifier away.  One night of being upset and it was over.  I think that I started a little young with getting them off of the bottle but hey it worked.  I didn't want to have to deal with the craziness later on of having to take it away from them.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• i agree!! my daughter ony had a soother from 3 months til 7 months..i just hated the way it looked, so i took it away LOL..i HATE seeing kids that are 3-4yrs old with them..i hate seeing a kid past 1yr with them..lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• Aside from special needs children, all i got to say is, when a child has to take the binkie out to talk then its long past time to quit!!
    Barbara1970

Answer by Barbara1970 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• I think the time frame really has to do with the child. I kept giving my son just his night time bottle until he was about a year and a half. I thought he was going to have issues with it, but I just stopped one day and he didn't even care. I think sometimes us parents hang onto things because we don't want our kids to grow up. I think I cried more than he did that night...it was a sad little day for me. lol
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• lazy parent
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I don't get the bottle thing. But, then again, I never put anything but formula in bottles so when the formula was gone (at 12 months) so were the bottles. Formula = meal for a baby and goes in a bottle. Milk = drink and goes in a cup.
    But the pacifiers were different. We waited until our girls were 2. My oldest gave hers up pretty easy at 2 (and she could talk around it and be perfectly understood, it didn't hinder her speech at all). The 2nd one took much longer. We kept trying and trying and she would just FREAK out and if you've never had a kid go into absolute hysterics because they couldn't find their binky you wouldn't understand. This wasn't crying to get her way it was like a full blown panic attack. We finally convinced her at 2 1/2 to give it up for the new baby. The 3rd we forced to give it up at 23 months and I regret it. She wasn't ready and it was traumatic. My youngest son gave his up at 3mo.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Who decided that binkies and bottles are for babies only? I always find this line of thinking funny just be cause one child is ready at a year doesn't mean another child is. What also has to be remembered is that the only reason docs and dentist say to start removing the bottle at a year is cause of bottle rot, there is no other real reason to "have" to take it that early. Any other issue's that get mentioned are only after very long term and constant use.

Only one of my 8 took a paci and I can't remember when he gave it up, it was probably around 2-3 and it was only used at night for sleep. As for bottle they usually wean themselves around 2, BUT mine don't even start to get teeth until they are 1 1/2- 2 years old. So baby bottle mouth is irrelevant for them. I also find that for my children once I can reason with them I no longer have to deal with a "few rough days" besides a sippy cup is a bottle, it just sounds nicer.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 1:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• because you dont see binkies that have a age on them for 2 and up? binkies say 0 to 3 6 to 9 never do you see one that is beyond that point thats why binkies are for babies they are ment for use when a child wants to suck because thats what babies do. there is no reason to have one past that stage. As for bottles they to are ment for Feedings not juice and other stuff. And yes sippy cups are pretty much bottles to but those get tossed out as soon as my kids learn to drink from a normal cup which is about 18months or so. Its not tramatic to take these items from your kids you just think its tramatic for them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2011