how do you know if your child is slipping thru the cracks?

In October my son turned 6 and at his wellness exam the pediatrician was bothered at his clumsiness and lack of coordination. He made zero suggestions/recommendations but we did take him to a podiatrist who said his balance is because he basically has 2 left feet and will need special insert orthotics someday for his weird arches as well. We pretty much let it go, especially since he's pretty athletic and enjoys dance year round (hip hop, tap, & ballet) and soccer in the Summers. ... well just now I was BORED and went to the schools grade-link website and learned that OMFG he's failing gym. Seriously. Failing gym. Cannot hop, skip, balance beam, etc. So what am I supposed to do now?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Kids' Health

• get second, third , fourth opinions if needed!! until you find a Dr. who cares enough to notice the situation at hand & do something about looking into it
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2011

• ~*Smikles*~... he might just be "clumsey"??? My mom is like that and the family joke is... the house hasn't been christened until she'd fallen or tripped on something
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Possible see a neurologist? Or a physical therapist? Good luck! Obviously something is off if he can't hop and he's 6 years old :( I would get a second opinion!

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 6:11 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Listen to your "mommy sense". If you don't like what the doctor is telling you, find another who will refer you to a specialist for intervention.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• take him back to the dr.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 11:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Speak to the teachers see what they are doing to help ot what they can do to help and havve him checked out by a special team. THey have services to help him in and out of school.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 25, 2011