Breastfeeding 5 day old newborn....

So my Son has been nursing like a champ since he was born on Tuesday, We have really had NO struggles at all!! But since this morning when I woke up I noticed that my left breast seems much softer than my right one. He seems to empty the softer one. I What I'm afraid of is that my right breast is going to dry up or not produce enough milk. Do I have to pump after I feed him for a few mins to get my breast to get nice and full like it used to, OR do I have to feed him and let him empty it and then pump inbetween feedings? Any help would be great.

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 11:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CONGRATS!  This happened to me also.  I let baby drain them both completely and before I knew it they had completely filled back up.  I didn't pump inbetween, that never worked for me.  I have been told by a lot of moms on here that the more you let baby feed on each breast, the more milk your breasts will make.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Most women have one breast that produces better than the other. My kids both favored my right breast, which always seemed to have more milk. Try always starting your baby on the weaker producing side, as long as he cooperates. I know people usually say to alternate, but it worked much better for me to start on the weaker side when he was hungrier.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:01 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No pumping! Not this early! Are you switching breasts during the feeding? Are you starting on the left at one feed, then the right at the next one? You should start each feeding on one breast and nurse until your baby is full, or your breast is drained, then switch. The next feeding, start on the second breast. This will help keep things more even. Double check the latch on rthe right side- it may not be as efficient. You can check with a lactation consultant to make sure you get things moving along smoothly. Congratulations on your new little love, and on your decision to breastfeed! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Your body is still adjusting. It's going to take a bit for everything to "settle" in. I would not recommend pumping this early on because you may end up producing more milk of less quality. You want your baby to get both the foremilk and hindmilk. If you pump too much, you produce more of onemilk than the other. Both are good, but baby needs the right balance.

Try and get your baby to nurse from both breasts for equal amounts. I would usually let my son nurse for about 10 minutes on one side and 10 minutes on the other side.

If you're planning on pumping for when you return to work, I recommend gradually starting the pumping... like pumping once a day, then twice a day, then 3 times a day, etc. You do not want to pump after each feeding-- once again, you'll throw off the balance of milk. instead, try and only pump as many times as you will be gone. So if you work through 1 feeding, then pump 1x a day.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• And-- i remember my breasts took "turns" being the 'good one." Sometimes my right one was the champ, sometimes the left. Like I said-- it takes a while for things to settle.

Good luck!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Your breast will not dry up! Just keep switching sides while feeding (for your own sake!) you don"t want one breast to get engorged. As long as he is sucking and not fussy he is getting enough to eat. If the right one still feels very full after he eats pump until it is comfortable but if he is eating equally from both for the same amount of time and he is not hungry there is no need to pump unless you want to have some bottles to feed with as well.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have been feeding him every two hours during the day, then every 3 hours at night. I feed him on my right side during one feeding and then I feed him on my left side the next feeding. When it comes time to feed him on my left side and Being that my right side seems to be the weaker side, should I offer him the right side for a few mins before I give him the left one?
    nat1387

Comment by nat1387 (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• All of these suggestions are great. I have two additional recommendations: Buy/read the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding it was a lifesaver when I was nursing and I ended up giving my copy to a friend who was going through a lot of difficulties nursing and caring for two toddler boy twins while her husband was deployed.  My second suggestion is to find a local La Leche League group.  You have to take the good with the bad depending on your group, but I learned a lot from the ladies in my group and they provide a great deal of support when you need it. 

MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 12:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If you do start on your weaker side, he will probably help boost the supply on that side, because they start of nursing more vigorously when they are hungry. If he gets frustrated though (sometimes mine got frustrated if I didn't let down fast enough or if they weren't getting milk fast when they were super hungry), you can try switching him. There's no one right way to do it. Just keep going and see what works for you and your son.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:14 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Leave things alone! You want soft and floppy, it's fine. Everything is working right, so don't mess with it. No need to do ANYTHING but nurse on demand.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011