How do you nurse your baby?

Do you feed him on both sides at one feeding? Or do you alternate breasts each feeding? Why and why not do you decide to nurse this way. I'm a new nursing mother and I'm just looking to see what other people do. Thanks a ton!! :)

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lets say the baby is feeding on the left breast.  My right breast would instantly start leaking so I would switch back and forth.  A few minutes on each breast.  It also helped to keep my little ones awake.  :)

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 12:01 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would feed on demand....one side at a time. If I was feeling engorged, I'd pump a bit while I'm feeding the baby or I'd switch over. I was notorious for the football hold or the side sleeping position to feed the baby. I had big babies...another other position was awkward.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• yea i would switch , its keeps ur breast from getting so engorged my youngest did perfer one side so for a while my left boob was like 2 times bigger than my right so i strong about switching and the left one caught up lol GL keep going
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would nurse on one side until he was full, or the breast was drained, then switch. The next feed, I would start on the opposite side. You want them to drain your breasts, so that you produce plenty of milk, and so that they get plenty of hind milk. I would nurse anywhere from 12-25 times a day, depending on his appetite, at least in the beginning. They become more spread out as yoir baby's tummy grows. But it's best to feed on demand, no matter how bizarre his "schedule" is. There are cluster feeds, when they seem to want it every 20 minutes or so for hours. That's normal! Try not to get frustrated, and just go with the flow. The chores can wait. Good choice with the breastfeeding, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I wasn't able to breast fee long, and u may already know this, but do u use on of those half pillows, I can't remember for the life of me what they are called, but it reaklly helped me to relax, no strain on the arms, and sometimes I could fall asleep when she was done and I would stay there in case I she woke up. Good luck! And congrats!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My son, at the beginning, took about 20-25 minutes to nurse. I'd do 10-15 minutes on each breast. I felt like a cow-- I'd moo whenever i was nursing, too, because he would eat every 1.5 at first, so as soon as I was done nursing, he'd be hungry again in an hour!

My breasts produced too much milk, and my son would literally gag. I tried different tricks to reduce production, and I finally did switch to the one boob at a time method-- and it did slow it down some.

I also pumped when I returned to work. However, I only pumped the # of times that I would miss-- I usually missed 3 feedings, so I pumped 3 times a day, when he would normally eat. That way, i kept my body on the same schedule he was one.

The tough trick was when he went through growth spurts. You're gonna feel like you just don't have enough and you baby is constantly hungry-- it's normal. Just plan on being a cow those 2-3 days!

Good for you!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• One side at a time unless she seems to want more. I get a lot of leakes that way though lol. I nurse on demand which is anywhere from 8 to 20 times a day. Sometimes I have to pump one side and feed on the other, because they get too full. I do that so she gets hind milk and all the calories she need plus she will stay fuller longer then if i switch off every few mins.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 2:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I let the child lead. My first only ever wanted one breast at a time and my second always finished one and then wanted the second too!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I alternated sides during feedings

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Depends, I can produce a lot of milk so I bf on one side only and I pump afterward so I get all the milk out. if your baby still hungry after one side offer the other side.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 8:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2011