Interracial Relationships

I watched the show "What Would You Do" tonight. One segmant had a black person and white person dating, another set of actors voiced their negative opinion of the interracial relationship.

I'm a white female, that recently started dating a black male. We haven't encountered anything like that, but it's still really new. Is this seriously still an issue with some people or was that segment just dated?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• It always will be. There isnt anything we can do about it except for put someone in their place when they say something negative to your face. My kids are mixed. I could care less what people think. My kids are gorgeous, great loving kids, and color doesnt matter. people are always going to have their views on situations, just forget them. And dont be ashamed of your relationship by hiding.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• it is an issue still to this day for some people out there. unfortunate but true. one time i have dated outside my race & i noticed stares, & things. its sad & i was quite surprised.
    hellokitty1978

Answer by hellokitty1978 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think a lot of the stuff on that show is wildly exaggerated. There are still plenty of hard core racist people, black and white, out there, but also many who are not, so I don't think most people would have the balls to publicly attack like that. I think more people are accepting of interracial couples than against it. I mean, why should anybody care who someone else chooses to date? As long as you are happy, don't worry about it.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think the black women are going to be more pissed that you are with one of "their men" than anything else. A good black man is hard to find they say, so don't be surprised if the racism comes from the sistahs. Just sayin'.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if you do encounter some of this idiocy in real life. I am of Asian descent and I get people asking me whether I speak English.

The best way to react though is not defensively and not angrily. Remember that they're idiots, so you must s-p-e-a-k s-l-ow-l-y. Just kidding. If they're truly just ignorant, take it as an opportunity to educate--i.e. yes, it's true--once you go black you don't go back... yes, yes, they are that much bigger.... lol-- just kidding again..

Good luck, and I wish you both the best!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Crazyness. I wouldn't have ever thought of it being an issue anymore. I mean really, it's no different than saying someone with blue eyes shouldn't date someone with green eyes... It's just a physical trait.

I think most people wouldn't have a problem, but either way, I will continue to do what makes me happy regardless.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Racism is everywhere unfortunately, but I really don't care what skin color they are, just what's in their heart.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• And to the anonymous poster, it's not just a good black man that is hard to find, it's a good man in general, lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i am married to a black guy for almost 6 yrs now, and it does happen. alot of older people have something to say-- both white & black. people my age (im 25) dont really seem to mind it, even tho i have had a few black girls so that horrible statement about stealing a good black man..
    but i have a friend (black girl ) who married a white man... and she gets it alot worse... which i dont understand... people dont understand why she would do that but love sees no color! thats my motto lol

ps ive never seen the show lol just thought id answer lol :)
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• yep still an issue. ignorance
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2011