why do I get sudden jaw pain and can't move my jaw

I was at Taco bell the other day and chewing my food and suddenly my jaw locked and I had to force it to open and close to keep chewing....it was stiff for the rest of the time making it hard to chew.
Is this something serious?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Health

• Hope this link helps: http://www.yourdentistryguide.com/tmd-symptoms/
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 2:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would go to the doctors or the ER immediately. It sounds like a condition called "lockjaw" which from my understanding comes from coming in contact with rusty metal ... thus why we get our tetanus shots.
    ArmyAngel18

Answer by ArmyAngel18 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I had this problem with my jaws locking, I also got a lot of headaches. I was diagnosed with TMJ and needed to get physical therapy and a splint to treat it and now my jaw does not lock anymore. You should make an appointment with your doctor, my doctor told me it's common in young women
    Nadali

Answer by Nadali at 12:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I am up to date with my tetanus shot
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No need to go to the ER. Like Nadali said, its probably TMJ. I had this in my early twenties. It just came out of nowhere. Sometimes it happened when I yawned, occasionally when I was eating, and once when I was talking! It would also set my "bite" off so I couldn't bite down normally for awhile...then it would just be fine one day. For a period of time, my jaw would click, too. I never went to the doctor for it...I didn't see the point unless it was in the middle of being "locked" and that was always predictable. Oh, and I didn't have insurance as a college student!

It just went away after a few years.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 2:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• A physiotherapist could give you some stretching exercises to stop the tendons from being so tight that if they snap over your jaw get locked open (or shut, or worse, sideways!)
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• ouch sounds like tmj and id go see a doc
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Sounds like a TMJ problem
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I get like this sometimes I have TMJ. My suggestion would to call your doctor and make an appointment!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2011