WYR - Build on or Move to a new home?

Not that either one is a viable option for me - but in dreaming... I think I'd rather stay put and build on... maybe - lol. Appeal of our current home - it was my grandparent's home - my grandmother passed on here while holding my hand and that of my sister in law while my husband stood at her foot. I can sometimes sit and just see my grandfather playing with the kids here and have wonderful memories of my childhood - though we've changed so much it's not grandma and grandpa's house any more, either!

AAAMama

Asked by AAAMama at 12:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in

• I'd move to a house that already has an ideal of what I'm looking for.

But since my family is of 6 people, we'd probably need to add on anyway to make space...but not here. I'd rather settle stateside first.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 12:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'd move, probably.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Depnds... if I'm thinking about divorce... then build on. If I like hubby... then move. :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My SO and I bought our house as a fixer-upper, thinking we would sell it when the market flipped and that we could take our time fixing it up...it is HARD to work on a house when you have a child. Our son was 7 months old at the time. We haven't gotten hardly anything done yet and my son is turning 3 next month...I would say to either deal with as is until you can afford bigger or at least make sure your kids are older...we also had to try to baby proof while fixing up...NOT FUN. :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Definitely would buy a home already built, although maybe brand-new. You have to deal with so much "crap" and budget arguements with the contractor(s), it's unbelievable! Really LOOK at what's in front of you, and LOOK at it several times in different weather, etc. if possible. KNOW definitely what you are getting, NT a "paper" dream!!
    lakotakat

Answer by lakotakat at 5:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'll Build on.
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Build on!
    BandME

Answer by BandME at 12:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Build on.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would stay! I love both my houses in different states and i mostly love the locations. I would build on if you could. grandma and grandpa would look down and be happy. keep it in the family forever! God Bless
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 10:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Move
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2011