Sounds Newborn Makes?

What sounds does a newborn make? Are they suppose to be breathing out their mouth?

She sounds like she is whistling and she sometimes sighs or grunts, sometimes she squeals really loud.

She is always mouth breathing. I cleaned her nose the best I could. Should I be concerned?
Everytime we go to the drs. they say her breathing is fine, but I don't think their right. I think I am paranoid, but I have no clue what other babies sound like.

AshBaldwin011

Asked by AshBaldwin011 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if there is not cough or not sign of infection.. like green/yellow/red snot - I wouldn't be concerned. the air might be dry and so she might be alittle congested - that might be the whistling. babies sigh and grunt ... she might be pooping. and various other noises are probably just her making noises. totally normal.some babies mouth breath. i believe a lot do.

just going off what you have said I think ur just being paranoid =)
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You could try recording a bit of it on your phone so that you can play it for the doctor at your next appointment. :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• good idea, I am going to record it. I am a complete freak when it comes to her. I don't know how I am going to get thru this. I am worried about every noise, diaper, everything. I just want her healthy and happy.
    AshBaldwin011

Comment by AshBaldwin011 (original poster) at 1:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Newborns are obligate nose breathers. That doesn't mean that when forced, they can breathe through their mouths, but generally they breathe through their nose.

That freaked me out completely when my son got his first cold, because i was just positive he'd die because he had too much snot in his nose.

I recommend putting a humidifier in his room, and putting some saline drops in his nose to break up the snot before you suction. Be careful about suctioning though-- you can actually make the problem worse because you irritate the lining of their noses. I also recommend letting his sleep a little elevated-- some people let their babies sleep in the carseat. I found that putting a rolled up towel in the bassinet helped-- elevated just enough to let that stuff go down the throat rather than stay in the nose. Also, steaming up the bathroom and letting the baby breathe that helps to break it up so you can suction better
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Lots of babies make noise. Some are completely silent and still. In my experience, they come out the way they are and there is nothing at all you can do about it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:15 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Snurlging. It used to keep us up at night

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2011