About Breastfeeding...

When is it ok for a new mom to drink? I've been told that drinking alcohol transfers it to the baby while breastfeeding. It makes sense, but in this case, when is ok for mom to have a drink? Also, how long does an infant normally breastfeed? And finally, does the baby go straight to cereal and baby food? Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have not had a drink in 4 yrs due to being pregnant or breast feeding. But from what i hear a dark malt liquor can help with letdown. Most babies are breast fed for appr. 12 months and go to reg whole milk. I so far have only made it to 7 months. I am currently breastfeeding twins and hope to go a full yr. If you stop short of a year, supplement with formula. It is very difficult start to breastfeed and takes a commitment to keep it up. But it is awesome, I would not choose anything but to breastfeed.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:51 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You can drink at any time, just don't go nuts. If you're concerned about it going to baby, pump and dump is great! Every body metabolizes differently, so this is probably your best bet, anyway...for some people the alcohol is gone in an hour, sometimes it's three. I'd play it safe.

You can breastfeed as long as you want, but be prepared for people on here to tell you you're an awful mother if you don't do it for x amount of time! The longer the better, but they'll get a benefit out of any amount. Do what works best for you.

As for the foods, discuss that with your doctor to determine what your baby is ready for. Some will have you start with little bits of cereal when your baby is only a few weeks, some say nothing but breastmilk for a year. You can find studies and groups to back up both sides, so be careful with this issue on here as well.

Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:53 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• I have breastfed 3 sons. The 1st one I breastfed till 6 months. The second one till he was over 2 and am currently breastfeeding my 13 month old. I chose to let the babies decide when it is time to ween. You can't drink and breastfeed it isn't good for the baby. Usually starting food is around 4-6 months old and you start with cereals and work your way up. Go slowly. When you indtroduce a new food wait a few days before introducing another. That way you can make sure that the baby can handle the food and there is no allergy to that specific food. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions...
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• some people say it is ok to drink while breastfeeding, just as long as you arent drunk, basically if you can drive you can breast feed is what my lactation consultant told me. I dont know how old your baby is but it is normal for a newborn baby to nurse every 2 to 3 hours for about 20-40 minutes at a time (but that can vary to less or more). But if your baby is going through a growth spurt he or she could eat a lot more often than that, I remember feeling like I was nursing constantly. they say to wait until your baby is 4-6 months to offer solid food, due to possible allergic reactions, when you do start baby cereal (which is what you would start first you have to make sure to feed it with a spoon and not in a bottle!! hope that helps you.
    JenRose09

Answer by JenRose09 at 11:54 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• You can express before you drink, and I'm not exactly sure, but I'd go the whole next day off expressed milk.

The first year is how long is best to breastfeed. Then you go straight to regular milk.

As far as cereal and baby food, they advise around three months, but you intgrate it in with the baby's breastmilk feedings. Six months for meat.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I breastfeed my daughter for her first whole year.
    KlieneMutter

Answer by KlieneMutter at 11:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• Yeahn dark lager is good for milk production. You can usually have the beer after the last feeding for the night...{doesn't include early morning feedings} You will wake up to full boobs after the beer. I have had to do that.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 11:56 PM on Nov. 13, 2008

• a new mom can have up to two drinks.. but has to pump just before them, and then can pump or nurse within 6 hours... also, babies on cereal still nurse.. my son is four months old, and gets one tablespoon of rice cereal... as babies grow so does the intact.. when you eat food, you still drink, just not as much... as do babies... in another month, i'll increase my sons cereal and baby introduce another food item, but as i have been doing this, he is decreasing his breastmilk intake.. good luck
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:02 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I wouldn't drink until i am done breastfeeding, just to be perfectly save, but i worry alot about my daughter so, it's up to you. I stopped breastfeeding my daughter at 3 months, my nipples were tender and tended to bleed, no matter what i did and she bit down hard..it was very uncomftable, if i could have gone longer i would have no questions, its a great bonding time with your baby. i miss when i could nurse and rock her to sleep..singing to her, songs i made up. now that she is 11 months old, she is never still enough and i have to sing to her in her crib....we call her wiggle bear, she's always a moving..she loves to dance
    Mrs.Jane

Answer by Mrs.Jane at 3:04 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Safe to drive, safe to nurse. You can have one or two drinks with not even one moment's worry.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:06 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• --ou can express before you drink, and I'm not exactly sure, but I'd go the whole next day off expressed milk.--

Not needed.

--The first year is how long is best to breastfeed. Then you go straight to regular milk.--

And you can still nurse as well. No expiration date on mom's milk.

--As far as cereal and baby food, they advise around three months, but you intgrate it in with the baby's breastmilk feedings. Six months for meat.--

Who advises three months? AAP says SIX months for solids. That means "anyhting not breastmilk or formula."

Mashed banana is a good starter, then veggies, then meats, with a new food every few days.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:07 AM on Nov. 14, 2008