this is an emergency i need help with my child?

i would not be on here right now but this is the only thing that i can think of where i might get help. my child has a high fever he has had it since yesterday, the lowest it has gone down was 100 degrees. but it keeps goin up to 102 to 103 and i tried everything. i gave him medicine two different kinds, i gave him cold food like a popsicle, and pedialite. i gace him a lukewarm bath, i only have his diaper on him and a bed sheet something thin. i put a cold rag on him still didnt work, i have tried everything. i took him to the er this morning cuz i woke up and his temp was high again, so they gave him some medicine but all pharmacies are closed where i live cuz its sunday. and now my husband is at work working midnights , and he decided to take the phone and my car instead of his, i cant drive his car cuz its a stick shift. i just gave him another lukewarm bath but it didnt help and tylenol. so im freaking out i dont know what to do, i went to my neighbors but they are asleep, cuz its 1 am. so im stuck i dont know what to do does anybody have any ideas on what i should do. please no rude comments i need help asap!

hello_kitty1

Asked by hello_kitty1 at 2:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• in canada we have a "nurse help line" we can call for situations like that..to ask what we can do..do you guys have anything like that in the states that you can call?
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would call hubby, and have him come home, fevers over 101 need to be treated! I would get to the ER again as soon as you could, and to the pharmacy first thing tomorrow morning. Best of luck! And Prayers for the little one!
    wife_mother1790

Answer by wife_mother1790 at 2:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Isn't there a number you call for emergencies where you are? You know, where the ambulance comes and gets you? In Europe where I am it's 112, I know that in the States it's usually 911 I don't know where you are though. I would call that immediately. In the worst case, call the police station, tell them it's a child emergency and tell them to call the ambulance or come with a police car to drive you to the hospital. That's what they're there for, to serve and protect.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 2:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• yeah i tried calling him i had to wake up my neighbor, but he doesnt take his phone into work with him so i got the works number and they dont have a 24 hour line to where u can get a hold of somebody its just the office number and its closed.
    hello_kitty1

Comment by hello_kitty1 (original poster) at 2:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i would if i had a phone ot use
    hello_kitty1

Comment by hello_kitty1 (original poster) at 2:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• right now i have the heat off and a window open and front door with screen closed
    hello_kitty1

Comment by hello_kitty1 (original poster) at 2:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Calm down.

An 'extremely high' temperature is 105.

102-103 is a 'normal' fever. Fevers are not only not dangerous, below 104.5, but they're beneficial: it's the body's natural --and very effective-- response to kill germs. Keep him comfortable and well-hydrated.

And calm down.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Call the hospital. Ask them.
    Brittany1286

Answer by Brittany1286 at 2:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Take him back to the ER...does the hospital not have a 24-hour pharmacy that can fill your prescriptions? The ER should be able to do more for you then send you home with worthless prescriptions. In the meantime, keep doing what you have been and stay calm. Hope your little guy feels better soon.
    bamii04

Answer by bamii04 at 2:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Give Tylonal and Motrin at the same time (they are different medicines so it's safe to do it).

Do all the other things you've been doing (cold rags on he head and neck, luke warm baths, etc.).

How long until DH gets home? Can you drive to another town when he gets off to get teh medication?

Typically fevers aren't dangerous. It's a sign that the is an infection in the body and it's trying to fight it. Having a high fever constantly without any type of drop can be dangerous but you said it has dropped to 100 at some points (which is no longer considered a fever. 100.4 is the point when i's considered a fever).

Wait until DH gets off and take him back to the hospital or go get his medication. He may need some antibiotic medication shots to boost he infection fighting process. The ER can give them to him if you ask.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2011