why am I so hungry all the time!

I'm trying to lose my baby weight, but I'm nursing and it's making it impossible to lose weight! I've been so hungry lately like I will wake up in the middle of the night starving or really early in the mornings. I feel like I ate a good amount today but I'm getting really hungry sitting her, and its not from being bored like my bellys growling and I just ate maybe two hours ago. What the hecks up with this, anyone else have these problems...

letlovegrow2524

Asked by letlovegrow2524 at 3:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Health

• I was the same way when I was nursing. In fact, I gained 30 lbs! I was absolutely ravenous. Are you active? That might be a good way to help stave off the extra lbs. Also, take a look at WHAT you're eating. Make your calories count, and eat lots of whole grains, lean proteins, and fruits and veggies to help you feel fuller longer, not to mention keep the calorie content down. Try to be patient with yoir body, and think about the fact that you're nourishing a whole second person right now! What an AMAZING thing we can do! =) Hang in there, mama, it won't be this way forever!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If you are eating carbs when you eat, that could be why. I'm a huge carb fanatic and I'm hungry in about 2 hours after I eat (I love cereals, breads, french fries, etc). And I'm not nursing!

I did a low carb diet last year, eating mostly protein and dark green veggies, and it made a huge difference. So think about what you're eating, and like musicpisces said, head for the lean proteins, veggies and fruits.
    SandyHack

Answer by SandyHack at 3:22 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yep, I was the same way too. I really don't know what you can do about it while you're still nursing because your body definitely needs the nutrients. I waited 'til I wasn't nursing anymore before trying to lose weight but I made sure that I wasn't gaining anymore weight while I was nursing. The only thing that I can think that might help is make sure you're taking your vitamins. I know that helps with cravings.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Oh, and make sure you're drinking plenty water.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• So if need to eat every 2 hrs or so, get an apple, make a smoothie, nuts are great to. Eat some oatmeal 'weight control", they got some good stuff out there. My personal fav is the banana stuff,. If u can get some the slim fast drinks. If u kep your metabolism yp and at a steady pace, u lose weight pretty quick, and excerise
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Make a note to eat protein (meat, beans, nuts, seeds), fat (the nuts and seeds take care of that themselves, but otherwise either slightly fattier cuts of meat, or added oil --olive oil for preference) and complex carbs at EVERY meal and snack.

This means 'an apple' is not a snack... but an apple and 2 slices of real cheese is. (The cheese is protein and fat)

If you're eating single-nutrient foods for many or most of your meals, you'll find you're hungry a lot more often.

If you're not seeing the pounds come off, it may also be that you are not eating enough and have triggered the 'hold onto the weight at all costs' that may well be shedding muscles to save your life... the body's starvation response. You HAVE to eat at least 1700 calories a day, unless you spend your days lying down and are under 5' tall with a wrist circumference of less than 5"
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:38 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Im the same way. All I want to do is eat. My son is 5 months. When he has his growth spurts and is wanting to eat more, so do I. Your body is still working hard to provide for your baby. Try not to worry about the weight right now. I know, easier said than done. But try to eat decent, take your little one for a walk and keep reminding yourself that you are doing something wonderful for your child and you are not alone with this.
    ShanAtoZ

Answer by ShanAtoZ at 4:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• try some water to fill u up
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You may want to examine what you are eating and drinking, not how much.
    Our bodies can't always differentiate between hunger and thirst. Be sure to drink lots of water, including at least six ounces every time you nurse or pump.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables, in at least three different colors
    Stop eating simple/white grains; eat only whole grains, 5 servings a day
    Add legumes to your diet, and eat 1-2 servings a day
    Cut way back on meat and dairy

Answer by rkoloms at 6:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2011