Do you stop at the wayside rest when driving long distances and have you noticed

vending machines that take debit cards at those rest stops?
Do you think it is a good idea?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 3:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Travel

• It a good idea for people that don't carry cash.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I don't tend to have cash, so it's a fine idea for me.

Of course, I have a good bank that doesn't charge me anything for fraud...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Makes sense (not that I've noticed them and we drove all the way across the country last summer). We almost never pay with cash anymore (always our debit card) so we don't have any change to use in vending machines. Of course, said vending machines have gotten so expensive they aren't even worth it. I mean: $1 for a 12oz can of soda. WTH! You used to be able to get a bottle for that price and bottles at the store are only 30-50 cents more.
    I remember when I was a kid doing our yearly drive from Chicago to Michigan. The biggest thrill was to stop at the rest stop at the border between Indiana and Michigan and use the vending machines...for no other reason than we could (we'd each get a dollar to get a soda and chips or candy bar...now you can't even buy 1 thing for a dollar).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We have them at my college. It comes in handy when you forget cash.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I would never use a debit card at a rest area on a vending machine. I guess if you are that hungry maybe some people would use them but personally I don't think it is a good idea.
    tyandlukesmom

Answer by tyandlukesmom at 3:12 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think it's a great idea!!! I never carry cash. They are completely safe, just like using your credit card at a pay-at the pump gas station.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:56 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think that they are great! I never have cash on me. We try to avoid them but just in case I am glad that they are starting to take debit cards.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes, and no, I haven't. So I have no thoughts. We so rarely get anything from them anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i havent noticed and no
    san78

Answer by san78 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I stop and rest all the time. I don't know if I would use a debit card but I guess it is a catch 22 situation either way. If u have cash u stand a chance of a mugger. If u use a debit card, u stand a chance of identy theft. Damn...stop at the store before u leave ur destination just to play it saf(er).
    QueenAdeela

Answer by QueenAdeela at 1:51 AM on Jan. 26, 2011