Goodbye Sleep...again. Need words of wisdom ASAP!!!!!!

dd is 3mos old and recently got over her first cold, so she was sleeping with a carseat reclined in her crib. Up til yesterday night she was sleeping from 715pm to almost 4am in the morning which was AWESOME! She was comfortable, we were getting enough sleep, everything was fabulous! As of tonight she went back into laying "just" in her crib because I hear it's better for her. She is back to her 715pm-12am-3am-6am feedings. AHHHH!! I'm really tempted to put her back in the carseat (placed in her bed). It's better that I put her back on just the mattress right??!

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 3:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• BTW her pediatrician was the one who suggested she lay in the carseat while being sick to help the drainage
    mire621

Comment by mire621 (original poster) at 3:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• So, your pediatrician is a twit... didn't you hear about the babies who died of positional asphyxia, from sleeping in carseats (which are not 'safe sleeping aparatus')? I'm not particularly surprised your ped didn't...

A safer, (older) and better, idea is to elevate the head-end of her bed a little bit --even a few inches is enough. Make sure the wheels (if there are any) are locked, and just put the head end onto a pair of tuna cans.

Her sleep pattern looks pretty normal for an infant: much more than 3 hours between feedings and they don't get enough in --their stomachs don't get bigger just 'cause they're fed more rarely.

It is typical of people who are ill to have changes in their need for food --some get hungrier and others have no appetite.

It is inappropriate for a child this young to be sleeping 'through the night' regularly.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Its highly unlikely that she will go back to her "sick" sleeping schedule even if you do put her in her car seat. Sorry!

Also, eventually if you do continue to put her in the car seat to sleep (hopefully) longer, she will really start to resent the
    seat when you put her in the car! Babies are contrary like that!!
    lakotakat

Answer by lakotakat at 3:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You should never put the car seat IN THE CRIB. Did your pediatrician tell you to do that? WRONG. What if it tipped over and the baby couldn't cry out? You can roll up a couple towels very small and put them under the head of the crib. I saw that on the doctors. But yeah, your baby shouldn't be sleeping through the night if she isn't ready. And many are still not ready at that age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• P.S. Teething can disrupt their sleep schedule too. Mine started teething around 3 months and he was up every hour. You just have to deal with it. It is the nature of the baby!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Babies sleep on their schedule, not yours.

Here are my words of wisdom: The bigger the child, the bigger the problems!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my dd slept in her carseat for the first week and a half, shes fine! she now sleeps in a vibrating bouncer. whatever works to get them to sleep as long as it is safe. folding towels doesn't elevate enough to drain. my ped said the same thing when my dd got a stuffy nose from brother.
    you don't want to go back to the carseat though, she will get used to it, and you will have a hard time getting her into her flat surface bed. just stick to it. she will figure out her sleeping soon enough. mine goes from 3 hours every feeding, to sometimes she will sleep 6-7 hours, and bacl to waking up every hour! hang in there, it will get better.
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It's likely she slept more because she was sick, as well. Her waking is very very normal. If you need more rest, co-sleep with her.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I know, it's not encouraging so far.... does it help to know you're guaranteed ever to get a full night the rest of your life? Nah, didn't think that would help but you oughta be warned....

She will sleep more when she's ready. And you'll find yourself waking anyway!

Answer by gdiamante at 11:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011