How do you get a 10 year old and a 7 year old to get up at night and go to the bathroom?

My 10 year old step daughter and 7 year old step son have decided they don't want to get up at night and go to the bathroom how do I convince them to get up and go to the bathroom and quit wetting the bed,or in the floor of thier bedrooms I leave thier lights on,the hall light and the bathroom light any advicce would be appreciated it mainly happens when thier biological mom comes around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you know it's because they're being Lazy for sure then cut back their liquids and make them make up their own beds when they wet it and also do their own laundry for the beds so that they will feel it's their responsibility. Make them clean the floors up too and start taking away some of their privelliges. It's not OK for a normal child to out of no where start wetting the bed. So if it's not something medical then get on them about it.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:59 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Stop giving them any liquids 3 hours before bed, or longer if it's such a problem. OR you can set your alarm and get up yourself and wake them every few hours to go potty.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I can't tell from your letter whether the bio mom is a good mother or not but, stress can definitely be a factor with bedwetting. Talk to a dr. and try to discover the root of the problem.
    3kidz4me

Answer by 3kidz4me at 12:14 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I'm with 3kidz4me, it sounds stress related. Kids will often regress during very stressful times. My step daughter was 7 when I moved in and she was suffering from megacolon disorder. That basically means that she held her poop in so much that her colon became stretched and she couldn't tell anymore when she had to go to the bathroom, resulting in accidents all day long. We had her in pull-ups for almost 6 months while the doctors slowly got her healthy again.

Talk to their doctor, it's most likely emotional and they will have some ideas to help them.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:34 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i do not give my 5 year old liquids at night. I making him use the bathroom before bed. He usual dont pee the bed at night.
    nene7884

Answer by nene7884 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2008