My DH just retired, and all he does is watch TV and old movies.

I had suspected he was a "closet" Soaps fan, and now I have proof! Plus, he has what seems like a bazillion video tapes of old movies he's recorded for years - he sits slumped in front of theTV and watches non-stop! I am disables, and can't do much, plus it is too cold out to take a short stroll. I have managed to get him a little interested in learning how to cook, and he asks good, smart questions, but won't look at/read a cookbook! I don't know what else to suggest for him to do until the weather gets nicer. We live in an apartment, and can't change/do anything to it.

lakotakat

Asked by lakotakat at 5:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Entertainment

• How long has he been retired? If it has only been just recently then his tv/movie watching my just be a "let me catch up on watching movies and relaxing" phase. Are there any community events? You could see if he is interested in one of them. Or see if their is a continuing education class at a local college that he would want to take. Encourage him to find a hobby that he likes (and it doesn't sound like cooking is it).
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You can do the reading and together work through the recipes. It sounds like he might enjoy this. I think classes and hobbies are excellent ideas. What work did he do previously. Maybe a part time job?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I've heard that this is common in new retirees. Is there a club he could join? Anything to get him involved outside of the home is a good idea. Heck, even walking at the mall - at least he's out of the house (and will likely make new friends as well!)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• were in our 40's and i already dread when my hubby retires! lol sounds like he might be a little depressed. my father in law is retired and he has a certain schedule he follows daily: wakes 7a, goes to neighborhood coffee shop for coffee/muffin (cheap) reads paper, goes for walk in park, goes to library to use computer, home for lunch, takes nap, works in yard, does crossword puzzles/ watches sports, ect. he needs to map out a schedule and stay busy.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2011