What can you do for a cat that has a cold?

Our cats have always been strictly indoor cats. Her shots were all up-to-date as of last year, so I'm pretty sure it is NOT distemper or a feline virus. This is different. She sneezes a lot and her eyes are a little teary. She runs a slight fever off and on, and has puked a couple of times (nothing unusual fo her, and she IS eating). It seems that her sinuses are congested.  I can't afford to take her to the vet, so I have gone online, and a homeopathic remedy seems to fit the ticket, but it will take at least 2 days to get here, as well as being almost $50!!  I'm going to see if the bigger pet stores around here would have it in stock, and hopefully a little cheaper!!.

So far, thankfully, our other cat is just fine. 

lakotakat

Asked by lakotakat at 5:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Pets

• There isn't a lot you can do without a diagnosis to determine if she needs an antibiotic or not. For her sinuses you can run some really hot water in the shower and the sink of a bathroom so the room gets really steamy.  I hope kitty is feeling better soon.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You could put her in a small travel carrier and put a humidifier up to the cage, with a towel over the cage and humidifier. Don't add vicks or vapo-rub, just the water.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

•  

bouncing

Well, our cat is finally feeling better today. She's eating heartily, sneezing much less, and tho she slept most of the day (she usually does, anyway), she's looking "perkier." She also doesn't seem to have so much post-nasal drip, and doesn't try to breathe only through her mouth (which she was forced to do yesterday). I had her in our bathroom last night for a while, with our steam vaporizer going - that helped considerably! Made her nose really run, but she needed to get some of that crud inside her head (sinuses) broke up a bit and out. Thank you all for you for your comments and support!!

lakotakat

Comment by lakotakat (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

• I think a lot of kitties get that. my siamese got it, then the persian, then the himmie, then the domestic shorthair. they all cleared up in a few days. oh yes, i got an antibiotic at the vets and some ointment for their eyes.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 7:01 PM on Jan. 25, 2011