What age did you start potty training?

ali_1107

Asked by ali_1107 at 6:07 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We started at 2 yr 6 months, when he started showing signs of being ready. He often told us when he needed a new diaper, so we got him a potty and put it in his main area of play so he would see it and remember to use it when he needed to go. We tried putting him in underwear, and tried pull ups, but neither of those got us anywhere. As long as he has something on his butt he was presumably confused and felt it was OK to let it fly. We opted to let him go commando, and just wear sweatpants around the house. He knew there was nothing on him he could pee in, so he always went to the potty as long as he was like that. We still used pull ups when we took him out in public for 1-2 months after starting, because he was afraid of the large potties in public. We would always ask him while we were out if he needed to go to try to get him acclimated to the idea of using one away from home.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 1:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• For my first daughter who is now 4, I started when she was 2. What I would do is everytime I was home I would put a panty on her and tell her "when you have to do pee pee" just tell mommy.Obviously she didn't know what it was, but when she first peed on herself I would tell her thats "pee pee". Everytime she drank or ate something I would wait a half an hour or so and place her on the toilet seat, she didn't know what she was doing but she would at first just sit there. I kept on with the rountine by putting a panty on her every now and then and when she peed on herself, that pee would be irrating and little by little she was running to the toilet seat by herself even if it was late. It does take a while for the first child but you have to be patient. If you force the child then they would be scared to use the bathroom.. YES it does become frustrating,but you will see that then the kid will be going/trying to go on its own.
    christy531

Answer by christy531 at 7:32 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I started training my son at 2.5 he will be 3 mxt mth--and he could care less if he had pee or poop in his undies..so we put him on the potty every half hour-hr...been doing this for about a mth, he goes to potty on his own once in a while..
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 12:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I wasn't done!! Now he is two months from his 3rd b day, and is diaper free during the day. He wakes up at night to pee pretty consistently. We are aiming for his third birthday to get him used to underwear, so he can wear regular pants again, instead of being in sweats all the time LOL.
    wildsun

Answer by wildsun at 1:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Thanks, I will definitely take this advice when I am ready to start with my LO! My oldest dd basically potty trained herself at 3, she just started going it was very cool! She also never had 1 accident at night. I don't think I will be that lucky again with my LO though!! :)
    ali_1107

Comment by ali_1107 (original poster) at 1:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2011