Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My legs and feet have gotten extremely swollen...

and they are "hard as rocks!" I have a heart condition, and I went to my cardiologist. He prescribed diuertics. They haven't really helped, and the situation is getting worse!! I'm having a lot of difficulty walking and even sitting down/getting up. He sent me to a neurologist because I have lots of vertigo. He did all sorts of tests and said I have MS. I took the extremely expensive shots, but the side effects constantly made me terribly ill. I tried for a year, but then gave up! Then the cardiologist took some blood tests, went into a panic, and sent me to a nephrologist. I'm in kidney failure, and also have parahyperthyroidism! The medicine he gave me also had terrible side effects, so I quit. I still take the diuretics (the same that I take for the heart congestion) though.  My primary doctor wants me to see an endocrinologist for my diabetes (well-controlled with diet) for the hyperthyroidism.  All of them are skipping the basic problem - what can I do for the swelling in my legs and feet and atrophying and cramping muscles in the rest of my body!!??

Answer Question

Asked by lakotakat at 6:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Health

Level 8 (260 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • i wish i knew!! do you have a family doc who gets all these reports from the specailists? maybe they can peice it together for you! hang in htere! good luck! :)

    Answer by itzmyzoo at 7:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • lift them above heart level... cuts salt out of your diet....i think there are wraps that can help but confirm with your doctor before you do anything.... feel better

    Answer by miritrose at 8:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • You must have high blood pressure as well. You can take a blood pressure medicine with a diuretic in it. Did the nephrologist give you a blood pressure prescription too? Make an appt. to see an Endocrinologist ASAP as they make you wait for an appt. Maybe one of your Dr.s could call one for you so the can see you ASAP. They will give you Synthroid for the thyroid. If the swelling gets worse I would go the the emergency room. There are Nephrologists at the Hospital. I think you need a group of Dr.s who can discuss your conditions with each other to get to the bottom of this. It seems like there may be no communication between the Dr.s your are seeing now. If you go to the Hospital, all the Specialists there can help you better. You have to take care of this before you need to go on Dialysis. GL


    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:11 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • Drink green tea. It's a natural diuretic and will help flush out the excess fluids.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2011

  • Thank you all for your suggestions and support!!            hugs

    Ironically, all these so-called speciallists - are all out of the SAME Hospital and SAME medical group!! I have questioned several of them as to WHY they did NOT send any info/test results, etc. to my primary care doctor - he's the one who is supposed to "coordinate" my care. He's also the one who referred me to them! Never receive any definitive answers!! I am on a low sodium, low protein, low sugar, low fats, low carb, NO dairy, NO soy, low carb, very low potassium, limited fluid diet. Pretty darn hard to follow, let me tell you! I only exist on little bits of this and that. No, I do not have high blood pressure. I have hyperparathyroidism, which is totally different - actually has nothing to do with the "thyroid" gland.


    Comment by lakotakat (original poster) at 8:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.