Would you encourage your child to go to college or let them enjoy a manual labor job? Did you or your husband attend college?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 6:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• Both my husband and I went to college, but college is NOT for everyone. If one of my children wanted to do something else, like be a carpenter, that would be fine by me. As long as they are happy with what they are doing, and are able to support themselves, I will be fine with what they are doing.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have an associates degree, dh has a high school diploma. As for my girls I encourage college. As for the manual job I expect them to work during college....I did.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:01 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I won't say college exactly but I would encourage them to go either to college or some trade school. The time has gone in the US where some one can have a high school diploma is enough for someone to get a job that will support themselves. Which is what my goal for my boys is to be able to successfully support themselves and a family if they choose to have one.
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 7:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I say personally.. IF THEY WANT TO GO TO COLLAGE.. GREAT. IF NOT..

Personally I say if they want to go they need to work out how THEY are gonna pay for it.. I think they will study harder and appreciate the experiance more.. if they are working to pay for it. I KNOW I DID!
    2boys4momma

Answer by 2boys4momma at 7:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• my youngest went to a community college. college isnt for everyone. maybe a vocational school .
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 7:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My husband and I both have advanced degrees. In this economy they aren't doing us much good. However, I still insist my children go to college.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Neither my dh or I have a college degree. My dh has taken several college classes. We have both served in the military doing a job that is worth several college classes (my dh still does the job, and has done it for 20 yrs now). I have also taken many classes and etc that do not count for college credits.

Our ds just turned 18 and is a Sr in high school. Our dd is 16 1/2 and a Jr in high school. He is planning on joining the military instead of going to college. Our dd is planning on going to college.

We're happy with both of their choices, because they have both thought about what they want, looked at their options (both have the grades and means to go to college). Also, we've always told them we don't care what they do when they do, as long as it's not illegal, not immoral, and they can support themselves. We want them to be happy and productive. That's all that matters.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:13 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• BOTH! my sons 21 and has been in Army 3 years and attends College. my daughters 20 is working and enrolling in college in the spring. doing just one is not an option for them. im college educated and worked nights/weekends the whole time i went.
    lillie70

Answer by lillie70 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My husband and I both went to college. My ex (and father of my oldest 3) did not. My oldest is in special education and so won't be getting a degree, but they have life skills courses at the local community college that he is eligible for and will be enrolled in. My younger 4 are all expected to go to college. They know this so it's not like its a surprise. Even now, the unemployment rate for college graduates is MUCH lower than the unemployment rate for HS grads. Yes, I know there are instances where someone can just graduate from HS and do okay, but that's not the general trend.

Answer by missanc at 8:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I have a bachelor's degree in engineering and am about to start on an associates degree in business. DH graduated high school only. I will definitely be encouraging my children to go to college, but they don't have to by any means. We are landlords and hope that at least one of the children will take over the business at some point so I would encourage them to get business degrees.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2011