Iam pulling my sixteen year old out of public school and puting her in to early college so that she can get her highschool and college education has any cafemom done this and benifited from having thier teen in dual education

tinamarie1972

Asked by tinamarie1972 at 7:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• i did this myself. i think its a great idea as long as its something she wants to do. highschool is nothing but drama. some kids are too mature for all that bullshit. if you allow her to go to the college she we be surrounded by many age groups and they are more serious about getting their education.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• make sure hes ready. college is so much different than high school. theres more pressure.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 7:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I'm confused by your post. Perhaps I'm old; but when I was in HS we took our dual enrollment classes at HS w/ the rest of our classes we simply got credit for both the HS course and the college course...?

You have a community college that will accept HS students on their campus before they've graduated??
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My SIL did this with my niece. It worked really well for her - but she had a friend that ended up having a really hard time adjusting (being with adults but not yet an adult herself). I'm going to guess that you are really involved with her education, keep it up! Make sure that you are communicating with her about her feelings (which I'm sure you will). In niece's friend's case, the mom started thinking/acting like her DD was much older than she was, and the girl was really an emotional mess. (She's in therapy now, and doing much better.) Best of luck to her!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No not personally however my sons best friend is doing it and it seems to have worked well for him. The only problem we have seen is he has become disconnected with his long time friends he was in school with who chose to stay in traditional hs. My son and him always joke they are married they are such good friends and even they are having problems staying friends.

Answer by gemgem at 8:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Is it something she wants? I enjoyed high school immensely and had tons of friends. I took AP classes and ended up entering college as a sophomore due to the amount of credits I had amassed. I think the highschool experience is important, and I would not have been ready to be around college age people at 16. Generally, kids these days grow up too fast already; I don't think I would allow my kids to do it.

Answer by missanc at 8:51 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think the AP classes are great if this is what you are referring to. I agree with missanc about the high school experience and being ready to go to college. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Make sure that you can do this in your state. In our state, Early College is by application lottery only and once the group that your daughter would have been in has started, you cannot get in. You either start WITH them from the beginning or you are stuck at the regular HS. You can dual enroll at 16 though, taking your regular HS courses during the school day and then take some core college courses during the afternoon and evening.
    If you CAN put your daughter in the Early College mid stream....the one bit of advice I do have.....don't allow her to walk with her AA degree. Instead, what she should do is transfer those credits as a freshman with some college credits already behind her. That way she will be eligible for more financial aid and the credits WILL transfer. Some colleges won't allow the credits to transfer in if they have already been locked into an awarded degree.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I did this, although i did not leave high school. I was still in my same high school, but took 3 courses a semester at Harvard Extension program to gain college credit while i was still in high school. They were night classes, which made it a lot easier. It was very helpful & helped me finish college faster than most folks once i was fully enrolled. It was hard work, but i enjoyed it. I also had a part time job...not sure how i managed all that...LOL!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:12 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If she is happy about go for it! She will benefit in the long run.
    Aries46845

Answer by Aries46845 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2011