getting my 10 month old to eat

my son is 10 months old, and wont eat his baby food anymore! I have to stand on my head to get him to take a bite. He eventually ends up finishing the bowl after a half hour and 100 toys thrown on the floor. But he refuses to eat without a toy. This is starting to drive me nuts! Any suggestions?!

dmdemes

Asked by dmdemes at 7:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• at 10 months, he doesnt have to be eating babyfood. you can give him real table food, the same things you eat just cut up really small. he will probably enjoy his new diet much better this way :) put it on his tray and let him feed himself.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think he is ready to eat normal food and feed himself. Make him baby pasta, vegetables he can chew on, anything he can eat with his hand and feed himself. He will enjoy feeding himself. Baby puree is not fun for him anymore. He wants something new:) There are nice baby cookies, bread sticks as well. Mine started to refuse to eat puree as well. So we went for feeding myself foodies:) It works. And when he gets tired or bored, I give him some puree quickly. :)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 7:32 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• thank you! im gonna some today! the hard part is that he has a milk protein intolerance. so he can't have anything with milk in it! Were starting off soy slowly to see how he reacts, but that complicates the finger foods much more
    dmdemes

Comment by dmdemes (original poster) at 7:45 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• dont worry OP! If he just isnt interested and prefers to play he just might not be hungry. He won't go hungry, he just doesnt want to eat at that time. Offer some yummy healthy foods and let him pick at it, test it and play with it. If that continues and he just doesnt it anything, time to take him out of the chair and try again later! Dont let him sit there or force him to eat or else he will resist even more. Even though he is near 1 year old, solids are still more for practice at this age! Breastmilk/formula is the main nutrition he still needs!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:06 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I agree with Adrienn! Try offering more "big kid" foods like finger foods. My son loved pancakes at that age
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:08 AM on Jan. 24, 2011