I DIDNT PUT MY DD'S FATHYER NAME ON THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE, DO YOU THINK IT WILL HAVE AN AFFECT ON HER?

WHEN I HAD MY DD AMIYA, HER FATHER WAS NOT THERE AND I WAS KINDA UPSET, EVEN THO WE'RE NOT TOGETHER, I FEEL AS IF HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE AND WITH IT BEING HIS ONLY CHILD. SO I GAVE HER MY LAST NAME AND DIDNT PUT HIS NAME ON HER BIRTH CERTIFICATE. ME AND HIM ARE COOL NOW, YOU KNOW HES A GOOD DAD WHEN HE HAS TIME, BUT I DONT CARE ABOUT HIM, I WANNA KNOW DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT WILL BOTHER HER WHEN SHE GET OLDER? LIKE "WHY DON;T I HAVE MY DADS NAME ON MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE"... I WAS THINKING BOUT THIS BECUZ THE OTHER DAY MY RANNY SHOWED ME AND HER DAUGHTHER HERS AND HER DAD NAME WAS ON THERE, SO HER DAUGHTER MADE A COMMENT LIKE "MOM U DONT GOT NO FATHER, WHERE YOUR DAD AT", EVEN THO SHE DOES HE JUST WASN'T LISTED, BUT MY GRANDMA SAID THAT HURT HER FEELINGS IT REALLY MESSED WITH HER!!!!

NEEKSEXI

Asked by NEEKSEXI at 7:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• i dont think it will mess her up mentally. maybe you can add him now. my grandsons each have their fathers last name because if anything should GOD forbid happen o their dad they are protected legally.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 7:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• personally, i would have it on there. like it or not, he is dad. and i beleive that if you choose to collect CS, his name needs to be on there. by not having it on there, it may come across as you don't know who the father is.
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 7:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You will have a more difficult time filing for child support.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• he doesnt have to be on it to collect cs, atleast not in my state. my oldest also has my last name and her bio-dad is not listed on her BC. all i had to know to file for CS was his social and full name. even if you don't know his social, if you atleast know his name and DOB they'll find him.

anyways im glad i didnt put his name, because 4 years later he has only seen her a handful of times before she turned 1. he didn't see her for 2 years after that, and then once last year. it's been almost a year since he last saw her. so i feel no guilt for not listing him, and someday my husband wants to adopt and then we can add my husband's name.

if you want to add the bio-dad though, you always have that option. contact your local vital statistics office.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I think it could very well have an effect on her. He is a part of her identity, who she is as a person and a part of her heritage. He was the man you chose to be her father, and I think there's a good chance she may come to resent that he was not important enough to even be shown as being her dad.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• No, it won't. It is just a piece of paper, what matters is if her father is a consistent part of her life. Also, it won't have any affect of child support, CSE will just do a DNA test to establish paternity or if he admits he is the father, he can sign an Affidavidt of Paternity. Having the father on the BC, will not guarantee he will be a part of the child's life. My son wishes I DIDN'T put his father on his because his father hasn't been a consistent part of his life for 14 years.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I believe most states allow the father's name to be added to the birth certificate any time before the child turns 18. In Missouri, both the mother and the father sign an affidavit in front of a notary and the father's name will be added.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Only time will tell if your dd will be affected by it and let’s hope your dd doesn’t following in her great-grandma foot steps. Ask your great-grandma how it’s affected her growing up; you will probably get some great inside. Your dd might not turn out from her but you’ll only know that as time progresses. I just think it’s strange at times how history has a way of repeating itself. Keep your fingers cross. GL
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• In my state, if you are not married, the only way the father can be put on the birth certificate is if he is there to sign it. otherwise it is left blank. Just explain to her that he wasn't there, so it wasn't your choice, it was his
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2011