The approximate cost of orthodontic work?

Can anyone give me a ballpark on what the approximate cost is for orthodontic work such as braces in a child? My son will be needing them at the end of the year most likely, and from what I'm hearing I'm getting scared, but no one ever says any actual numbers. Are we talking like the cost of a new car or something??

amybaby_19

Asked by amybaby_19 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Health

• If you don't have insurance...between $5500 and $7500 depending on where you live
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:39 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Varies from area to area. But the lowest cost without insurance is usually $5000 and it goes up.
    Have you had your initial FREE consultation with the local orthodontist?? They WILL give you the numbers straight up along with payment options.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It depends a lot on what type of braces he gets and how long he needs to wear them, if any teeth need to be pulled, if he needs other dental work in order to make the braces work, etc, etc.

Here's an example: I had 2 different kinds of braces because we moved and the new ortho didn't know how to use the old kind. The first ortho estimated $5000 for 4 years of treatment, not including the 4 teeth I had to have pulled to make room in my mouth for all my teeth and the surgical extraction of my wisdom teeth. The new ortho, after a year of treatment, also estimated $5000 and 4 MORE years of treatment (so a total of 5 years). I had all 8 teeth out and she also thought I might need gum grafts (I didn't).

Alltogether it cost my mom about $7500. But my case was extreme, most people don't need that kind of treatment. They usually accept payment plans, too, so ask! Nail 'em down!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It depends on what he needs to have done (how bad his teeth are). The range around here is $3500-$5000. The ortho will let you know up front what the price is, and it will (should!!) include everything, including a retainer. All of the orthos here allow you to pay monthly throughout the treatment. (I have 2 that need braces! Yikes!!)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:42 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• It all depends on the kind of work your son needs done. $5000 is a good bet for a starting price. If he needs lots of jaw correction, additional appliances, extended wearing of the braces/appliances, etc...you could go all the way up to $15,000. Yep.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 8:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Oh, I should add that my mom had insurance that covered a small portion of my work. It probably would have cost her $12,000 without the insurance, with all the extractions I had.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 8:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• twinsplus, he hasn't seen an ortho yet, but the pediatric dentist has told us for the last year or so that he will need ortho work by the time he's eight, which is at the end of the year. She hasn't referred him yet, so we haven't seen one. Whenever someone talks about it and doesn't say how much, I always feel like I should be saving, saving, saving. I just don't know what to expect. Thanks, everyone, for the info!! We do have insurance, I just don't know what they'll cover.
    amybaby_19

Comment by amybaby_19 (original poster) at 8:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Thanks, everyone! He will need A LOT of work. Teeth pulled, possible expansion of the jaw and who knows what else. The poor kid. My oldest son has what appears to be perfect teeth, my middle son I guess just didn't get that lucky. Both my husband and I had to wear braces as teens, we figured they all would then!
    amybaby_19

Comment by amybaby_19 (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• 1st stage for our son was 2700.00. That was 6 months of wearing a pallet expander, and then 6 months of braces. The 2nd stage will be a year of braces, which we haven't done because his teeth look awesome and feel he doesn't need it. He's 14, almost 15 so he's lost all of his baby teeth and we don't see his teeth moving... I have heard too that the 2nd stage is more of a money maker than something that's really needed..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Just saw the "needs braces by the time he's 8." Our dentist said the same thing, and I talked to two others, both said that unless the child's teeth were making it harder for him to eat, they can wait until they are 13 or so. When they are younger, they are still growing, and their teeth will move around some. (and end up with even more ortho work in the future!) They also have a hard time caring for them, and there is a good chance they are going to get cavities. They also tend to break their wires, have brackets come off - and after so many repairs you have to pay for it on top of the charge for the braces themselves. Honestly, there is no way I would put a child younger than 12 in braces.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011