Do you send your kids to school when it's 5 degrees out?

I'm keeping my boys home because they have asthma and the cold weather usually aggravates it.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Just for Fun

• COLD weather aggravates their asthma? I've never heard that before.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 8:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes but this year mostly because we had Zahra Bakers murder and the schools are all over us for any absence the kids have. Since she was killed and the school dropped the ball they are overdoing it. My friends little girl has severe asthma and has been out 6 days this year (all with doctor notes) and they told her she cannot miss anymore days.
    On normal years I do keep them home when its cold, or when there is ice and the school doesnt shut it down. I can basically gage when the school is going to end up sending them home early.

Answer by gemgem at 8:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• If there was school and my children were not sick enough to need to stay home, they went regardless of the temperature or anything else.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• well it doesnt get that cold in florida, but when we have cold days i still send her. i just dress her appropriately to the weather and she's fine. my middle daughter is borderline asthmatic and cold doesnt aggravate her symptoms, having a cold does.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes. Thats not very cold. I have been to school when it was -10, just bundle up.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:54 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I do. I make sure that they have the proper cold-weather attire, and I will drive my oldest (in Middle School) instead of having him walk/ride his bike. Adults have to work when it's cold, I think they need to understand that cold weather isn't an excuse for not being responsible.

If there were a medical issue like your kids have, I don't know that I'd send them though.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I've sent my kids to school in 10 degree weather and thats odd for the south, but if it were 5 degrees I think I would send them as well. They go from the warm house to the warm car (because I cranked it) to the warm bus to the warm school. And the process is reversed in the afternoon. If their asthmas is that bad maybe you should have an emergency inhaler at school for the kiddos. Stay warm :-)
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 8:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Of course I would, no reason to keep them home
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I live in NC, so it's not usually that cold here but I would. School is inside, so they'd only be out for a minute or so to get into the car and then from the car to the school - not a big deal.

Answer by missanc at 8:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• if the roads were okay i would. the cold weather bothers my son asthma too but they don't let them go outside when its below freezing. i keep him inside until the bus comes and i don't let him stand in the carline when its that cold out. i pay for him to go into afterschool and go pick him up after the carline dies down. i don't want him in the cold
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2011