have you ever done this? (regarding gift giving/receiving)

Ever made a list of stuff you want and your SO does the same so you both know what the other wants, you have a few options, and no one is dissapointed? I never have, but I think it'sa good idea. What do ya'll think?

iluvmybabe

Asked by iluvmybabe at 8:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• My whole family does this. We keep lists of things that we want or need, and when we need to buy a gift, we simply refer to the list. It has worked well for us for a number of years.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yes, we do that. It works well for us, and no one is disappointed, and no one has to waste precious energy "guessing" what the other one wants.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 9:00 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My entire family has an online "gift registry" that my brother created. We all have our own login/password. We can put in what we want, where we saw it (the store) and how much it costs. Then someone else can go in, see our list, and "tag" the gift. Everyone else can see the gift, and that someone else is already buying it, but when I logged in I wouldn't see that someone had tagged the gift so it's still a surprise. My husband and I buy for each other off the family registry, unless it's something more um personal that I want from him - then I just tell him.

Answer by missanc at 9:02 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We have wish lists on amazon. My husband also has an app on his phone where he keeps a running list of things I mention that I like. If we are out and about and he catches me admiring something, he takes a picture of it and stores it in the app.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Not really - I keep track of the things my DH (and the kids) talk about wanting in my day planner. DH does the same thing. I always have the kids write a Christmas list though.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:01 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My mother and her husband do this. They actually have little "files" of things they see they want, magazine clippings, catalogs, et cetera. When it's time to get each other a gift, they just go get their file folder and they both get something they want, but they just aren't sure what it's going to be!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Yep we do that. Just not me and DH but with the kids, friends and other relatives. That way you never get something you have to exchange.

Answer by gemgem at 9:09 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We don't make a list so much as we ask questions and just tell each other outright when we want and don't want. HOWEVER -- we are gonna HAVE to start making a list because I'm getting the short of the gift stick. DH doesn't *exactly* follow directions well --- like for Christmas, I told him that I was having a note that he wrote to me reduced and made into a charm - it was his job to get the chain to hang it from. He managed to get white gold, but TOTALLY didn't listen when I told him I wanted a 22 inch chain, so that I could wear the charm under my shirt (close to my heart) when I wanted to wear costume jewelry (big ole blingy necklaces) --- I got an 18 inch chain. Nice, but not what I wanted and TOTALLY right in the way when I wanna wear my big ole blingy necklaces. LOL MY fault completely, so from now on - YES THERE WILL BE A LIST.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• yup, I only started it on my last bday, but I got what I wanted. I told him to do the same, but hes all I dont know what I want, I never know til I see it. So I was like get to looking!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:33 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• I love that idea. My (ex) husband though would always lose the list and then forget what was on it. UGH!
    ex -- I would say (regarding clothes) -- I need a large top and medium bottoms -- he would get a small top and large bottoms! Or I would say "no, gold jewelry please - silver only" -- so what did he get me?? That's right -- GOLD!
    lol -- MEN!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 24, 2011