What happened to the gifts? (mini vent) adult content

Long story short...relationship between my brother and I is that we basically ignore each other. Toxic relationship with parents. We had not exchanged gifts yet, but I had my husband drop theirs (brother and his wife) off at their house a couple of days after Christmas (arguement was NY Eve) Brother stuck nose where it did not belong and wound up in an ugly arguement with my husband. This was just after Christmas. Previous to the argument, brother said he had gifts to drop off. Needless to say, we never received them. Now, to be clear, I couldn't give 2 craps about the gifts for DH and myself, but my 14 month old DD? What exactly is my brother going to do with her gifts? Why withhold them because he's mad at my husband (or me)? I just get so sick of all the drama and wish people would stop acting like dicks. Thanks for listnening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I'd let it go. Your DD doesn't really know any different. It sounds like your brother is being petty - don't stoop to his level and ask about them. I'm sorry he's such a jerk.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Good Lord, she is 14 months old. She does not even understand the concept of gifts. Your brother picked a fight and I don't understand why you would you have any relationship with him at this point, but to use him not giving a gift to your dd is a ridiculous thing to be angry over.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• How about calling your brother and talking WITH him about what's going on? Both should be adult about it. NO yelling, no accusations. Get it all out in the open. Also, your 14 month old will not know or care about a gift. Let that go. You and your brother need to work on your sibling relationship or you will never have one with him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My friend told me she bought my son a tent for his bday, well a few weeks before his party we got in a HUGE fight, we were still friends on FB but then I see she posted pics of her kids in the tent she showed me she was giving my son for his birthday the caption read "the boys love their new tent" so hows that for a friend? after seeing the picture, I didnt send her a bday invite, prob childish of me, but how rude
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• You sound bitter.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Here's a different perspective --- I bought gifts for my son and his GF -- then a week before Christmas I get word they are moving and need a fridge --- well I have a fridge that's a year old, (still extremely new), nice, black, icemaker, etc. They want the fridge of course, so I told them to go get it - and btw --- MERRY CHRISTMAS.
    Two weeks after Christmas they called "are you not going to send out Christmas?" ..... WTF I JUST GAVE YOU A $1500 FRIDGE! -- What did I do with the stuff I had already bought ---- it's in a cabinet and will serve as birthday gifts for them this year.

You gotta think, like someone said, your DD is not even 2, she won't ever know that she did or didn't get a gift from him -- and really, we buy presents for other people's babies as a courtesy to the parent (for the most part) -- he's mad at her parent, so naturally isn't exercising normal courtesy. Make sense?
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:49 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Of course I'm bitter, that's why it's called a "vent"....and I've tried to call my brother, but he won't pick up the phone....so much for being the bigger person.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Thanks for your advice ladies. It's good to get a different perspective. I am not going to mention anything about them. I was just wondering what he's planning on doing with gifts for a child.....thanks again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2011