what method of birth control is best?

i want to get the iud because it has no hormones. i want something that wont make me gain weight instead something that make me loose weight.. and that does not have alot of side effects so far im going for the iud what do you recommend ?

_MORENA_

Asked by _MORENA_ at 11:55 PM on Nov. 13, 2008 in Health

• OK first, the minera IUD does have hormones. The copper IUD does not.

I highly recommend against any hormone based ones if you are not wanting to gain weight.

diaphragm, condoms, the copper IUD (but do check the side effects of that such as cramping and the other risks)

Anonymous

• NFP!!
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:13 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• please note that Natural Family Planning ONLY works if you have an extremely regular cycle!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• If you want to stay away from hormones (I don't blame you there!) then a copper IUD is a good choice. Do your homework though. There are still some serious risks that you need to be educated on before you decide to use one. I wanted to be off hormones before I got pregnant with my son, so I used a diaphragm for 3 months. It was sort of a pain, but it worked well for us and was WAY better than condoms.

And I'm with Anon 12:23. Natural Family Planning only works if you know your cycle like the back of your hand, AND you are ok with the possibility of a surprise baby.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 12:28 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have had the Marina IUD, now for over a year I have not had any weight gain. I no longer have a period and the cramping is only occasionally and minimal. Initially it was a little painful putting it in. It doesn't interfere with intercourse or my daily life. I love it!!!
    angelic77

Answer by angelic77 at 12:31 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Surprise baby's come with all types of birth control. And yes eventually you do get to really know your body and when you are ovulating and no you don't need to have an extremely regular cycle. There are different methods that you can use and you can use them together. Look into it if you want something that requires no hormones. After my third child I didn't want anymore children so I used the copper IUD for the same reasons as you. But after a while I just couldn't handle the thought of there being something foreign in my body. I couldn't feel it, I couldn't even tell it was there, but just knowing creeped me out. Eventually I got it removed and I was so relieved. Anyway, NFP is not for everyone--just like the IUD isn't for everyone, but just thought I'd give you a diff alternative.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 12:41 AM on Nov. 14, 2008

• i do agree with the copper iud i have been debating getting one as well. i don't respond to hormones well at all. i also agree that you do have to have really normal cycle for natural family planning. i have polycycstic ovary syndrome and could never to nfp. tired and it was way too risky. i can go two or three months without a period and not be prego just not have a period.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 9:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2008