How to talk to a 2 and a half year old about daddy leaving on deployment for 11 months?

My husband made videos of himself reading my sons favorite books. I have pictures all over the house of him and my son. my husband is going on a deployment for 11 months. My son turns 3 in April. He doesnt understand yesterday, today, tomorrow. Last time my husband left for 1 month, he acted out in daycare, and showed signs of missing daddy. This time its a lot longer, how do I ease him into not being with daddy?

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• there's really no way to ease him. it's going to be difficult for him no matter what you do. but you can help him cope, by keeping him busy. do you all have skype? if daddy has time, maybe a quick skype phonecall daily even just to say goodnight will comfort him. also, its really great that he did the book reading videos, but they also make books that you can record yourself reading them and when your son turns the pages, he will hear daddy's voice reading the story. this can be fun for all of you, whenever you send your hubby a care package, include a book like this, and in his freetime he can do it and then send it back. granted, overseas mail takes so long to get here. but he will likely enjoy doing this for his son and your son will surely love it. anyways deployments are always hard, just a matter of coping and taking it one day at a time. best of luck to all of you!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2011