How do you encourage your kids to stay in shape? Do you exercise with them?

Cafe Kristin

Asked by Cafe Kristin at 9:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• My kids are still quite young (almost 4 and 2 1/2)...but they tend to try and "work out" with me...they dance around the house when I do (I turn the radio on while cleaning and dance while I do it)....or they'll get on the floor and try to mimic my stretching....so, in a way, I guess I'm encouraging them to exercise without really trying? =)
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 9:50 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• My kids are still really young so they run around and play on their own. But what my mom did for me was to put my in dance school and sports at the playground from when I was in third grade on up. I think that's probably all most kids need as far as exercise.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We go on walks together, and we joined a pool for the summer and an indoor pool for the winter.

Answer by Bmat at 9:57 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• Oh god NO I don't excersise with my kids, I'd kill myself lol. . My 11 year old never sits still it seems, we have a trampoline and she is on that thing year round lol. My 17 year old is a wrestler, and we are insisting that he keep up the training and conditioning post season, so he can be better prepared for next season.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:59 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We take walks together, and play outside. I encourage them to be active, but we don't actually exercise together.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• We do a lot as a family. Because my husband and I were always active from babyhood on (just sometimes with more gear) it is very natural to carry on as they grow. We go for walks around the neighborhood, hikes through the woods, bike rides. We dance around the kitchen while we make dinner and set the table. One of my kids' favorite parts of the day is when we're grooving in the kitchen and Daddy comes home and grabs me up and spins me around the kitchen for a few minutes. They all watch googley-eyed and then join in again! When the weather is less cooperative we play active games on Wii and have hula hoop competitions in the garage. We play all kinds of ball outside. Badminton. Frisbee. We have relay races. Jump on the trampoline. It doesn't have to be complicated or expensive. Just move!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:05 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• By walking to as many places as you can instead of driving helps
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• i have a 7 and 8 year old and in the summer we go on walks and ride bikes in the winter go to a mommy and me gym so yes if it helps do it sorry about the spelling
    kh1983

Answer by kh1983 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• we go on walks, to the park, and have dance parties!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2011

• yes most defenetly
    mwood108

Answer by mwood108 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2011